Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going to work first time pumping

Default Going to work first time pumping

I have a unique situation and even though this is my 3rd child this is my first time pumping and bottle feeding. My daughter now 6 and I got thrush at 4 months and it went undiagnosed and the extreme pain was more than I could handle....I was told it was normal nipple pain, so I gave up BF'ing and felt like a failure when after redaing an article discovered what we had was thrush.......my dear son now just 2 (last thursday) was Bfed until 4 months when my appendix ruptured, and I walked around that way for almost 36 hours.....was in hosp for 12 days and on over 1800 mg of antibiotics for 6 weeks and had an open wound that dear hubby took care of at home for 3 months . Dr's made me quit BF'ing in hosp. as one of the antibiotics I was on caused brain defects in infant lab mice...... soooo with that background I REALLLLLLLY want this baby to be BF'd till at least a year!!!!!!!!!!

I have to go to work for 2 days, it will be a 6:30 - 4 job I will get to go home at 1:30 to 2:30 for lunch. My youngest is 6 weeks old will be 7 weeks on thursday. I have to work on Mon. and Tues. I am so afraid my son will reject me after having a bottle. Is there a way to minimize this, how much shoudl I pump before I go. I am so afraid he will like the bottle better than me. HELP

Default Re: Going to work first time pumping

re pumping--a general rule of thumb is to pump about an ounce for every hour you will be gone; i've also heard bb's daily milk intake should equal 2.5 ounces x babies weight. while you and bb are still adjusting i'd leave five or six 2 oz bottles. this way you can get an idea of how much milk bb will drink from each session and not worry about wasting milk.

6 weeks is a good time to have bb take a bottle. and don't worry, if your bb is anything like mine, he will like you so much better than the bottle that he might reject the bottle at first and wait for you to come home. you might want to experiment with giving a bottle now, if you haven't already.

Default Re: Going to work first time pumping

Judging from what my DD ate while in dc for about the same time, I'd leave 9-13 oz. As the pp stated, start in small increments until you figure out his pattern.

I wouldn't worry too much about him preferring the bottle. At this point, he knows mommy is the meal ticket. My DD still won't eat very much when it is getting near the time I usually get home from work. And even those times when she does finish her late afternoon bottle, she ALWAYS wants to nurse as soon as I get home.

Going back to work is a big adjustment, but at least you only have to do it 2 days a week. Good luck!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)