Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new to extended bf-questions

Default new to extended bf-questions

I am new here and currently bfing my dd who will be 1 yr on 9/3. She takes two bottles expressed bm during the day and bf 2-3 times between 6 pm and 7 am. She'll wake up at any time between 3 and 7 am for that early morning feeding.
    I do not mind waking up with her for this feeding at all, but I hate the thought of leaving her overnight and the babysitter having to wake up with her and give her a bottle at that time. I have done it a few times but it is a big deterrent to extended trips. Any ideas?
    I had planned to wean completely at one year, but now that it is upon us I am tentatively planning to keep the nighttime and morning feedings and wean her completely to cow's milk during the day as she transitions to a cup. Right now she only uses a cup for other fluids. Any thoughts on that?
    I just love bf, I love the time with my dd even at 3 am and I know she loves it too. I am a working mom and it is so precious to me.
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences, it gives me courage to know that I can keep bfing and forget about the naysayers.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Re: new to extended bf-questions

I know how youre feeling. My DD will be one on 9/28 and I'm slowly starting to cut pumping sessions at work and letting sitter grad. mix cow's milk with ebm over to next couple months until she is fully on cow's milk. I am still struggling with wether or not I will try to night wean or continue bf. Who knew we would be making this decision so soon!! Sorry I dont have any advice just thought I'd let you know youre not alone. Like you I said I'd wean at 12 months and now I'm not sure.

Thanks for your reply. After putting my feelings down on paper (or the computer screen), I realized that my choice was literally staring me in the face. I talked to dh, the best SAHD ever, last night, and we decided to keep the evening and early morning feedings indefinitely. I feel such a sense of peace and almost relief with this decision. I didn't realize how much it had been weighing on me.
    I am doing the same as you, gradually mixing cow's milk with the daytime feedings (or rather, dh is), and we have had no problems with dd taking it thus far and no tummy upset, etc.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

You may find that as DD approaches one that her nursing pattern will fluctuate. I also found that even though those AM/PM feedings were crucial when mama was around, for my daughter, it was almost like "out of sight, out of mind". We took a weekend trip and she stayed with Granny. I thought she would need lots of bottles overnight but she actually was fine with being rocked to sleep/back to sleep. She didn't seem to need the breastmilk quite as much as I expected.

Post-one year, I am still doing AM/PM feedings with the occasional comfort nurse (plus more now that those top teeth are coming in this weekend...ugh!). It is nice not to have to pump during the day but still have the joy of breastfeeding my little one!

Good luck!