Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain & 9 month old

Default Nipple pain & 9 month old

I am nursing my almost 9 month old and am having a lot of pain on just the left side. He latches on great for the right but it feels like his teeth are digging in on the left. I loaned out my book that talks about helping a baby to latch and can't find any diagrams here.

Can anyone remind me of where the chin and nose should be? And is there a way I can position him that will help? His belly is turned towards me and he doesn't pull away while latched on....it's just as he's sucking that his top teeth seem to be digging in. I'm nervous about him biting if I try to latch him on properly over and over so I'd like to get it right the first time...or at least bareable!

Also, does this just happen when they get new teeth and will go away eventually?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Kara

Default Re: Nipple pain & 9 month old

Did he just get the teeth in? If so it's very common to have some trouble readjusting. It will get better over time, he'll learn better how to position himself and also they won't always be so sharp!!

The big thing is getting him to open WIDE for you, taking in a lot of breast so he's not inadvertently clamping down on you. Keep his bottom pulled close to you so that opens up the top part of his latch.
    Here's a good animation of a latch that might help you guys.
    http://www.breastfeedingmadesimple.c...0Animation.swf
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Have you started having cycles yet? A lot of women notice sore nipples for a while mid-cycle and sometimes it is worse on one side.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jcdandfamily View Post
    Have you started having cycles yet? A lot of women notice sore nipples for a while mid-cycle and sometimes it is worse on one side.
    And the corollary question, could you be pregnant? Nipple soreness which in my mind I initially attributed to a bad latch was my first symptom of pregnancy with baby #2 - even before I had missed my period.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate the links showing latch as well. It's easy to forget the basics.

I have started my cycle, so that may be part of why it hurts, but I think his latch and new teeth are mostly to blame.

Thanks for all your help!

I changed positions on that side for a couple days and it totally alleviated the porblem. My nipple had tme to heal and then we went back to normal and he had gotten used to latching with the teeth being there now!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."