Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: working, pumping, and an oversupply

Default working, pumping, and an oversupply

Does anyone else struggle with an oversupply on the weekends because of pumping for work? I have to double pump twice, sometimes three times during the day to have enough for my lo while I'm at work - but then over the weekends, I block feed or feed everyother breast. It is causing an oversupply on the weekends that is making it difficult for me and my baby. I get engorged and she gets gassy with green poops. Sometimes I can pump over the weekends before feedings to regulate, but when I can't and/or during the night my lo gets too foremilk, and can't empy the breast. Any thoughts???

Default Re: working, pumping, and an oversupply

Huh!

I think for most people (me, anyway), it works the other way. I had to struggle to pump enough during the day at work, so by the end of the week, my supply had decreased. Nursing over the weekend would serve to build me back up for the next week.

Nowadays, I am often engorged by the end of the day on Mondays, because I don't pump at work at all anymore (LO is 20 months).

How much are you pumping at work(# of oz's)? Maybe you're pumping too much? I know a friend of mine could pump just once and get enough for the entire day for her son.
    Last edited by @llli*manitobamommy; September 14th, 2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: clarification

Oh, and my lo is 11 weeks and I've been back to work full time for 3 weeks

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I had the same problem! I block-pumped as well as block-fed my LO. It seemed to work okay. My milk supply eventually evened out but it took about 4 months. If I remember correctly, a woman's milk supply takes about 3-4 months to stabilize so perhaps all you need is a little more time to pass.

As the pp asked, can you pump less during the day to yield enough milk?

And don't pump too much on the weekends before feeding your LO or you will make the problem worse.

Good luck mama!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Thanks, Desert Mama,
    I'm glad to hear it's not just me.
    I am waiting for that evening out time. LO is only 11 weeks - so within a few weeks, hopefully?
    And, yes, I think I was pumping too much over the weekend. I keep getting nervous that I won't have enough.
    I pump one time between 7 and 3 and then sometimes at 3.
    Anyway, I'll cut back on the weekend pumping - and hope for the best!
    Thank-you!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

i have this problem still and DS is almost 5 months! Ive been back to work for 2 months, but my schedule varies from week to week ( im a nurse and work 12 hour shifts on varying days). If I pump 2 days in a row and nurse the next day, i have an oversupply and feel extremely full. I know my body gets confused! I have too much milk stored in my freezer as a result ( i feel guilty about throwing good milk away).

oh ladies, if you have an oversupply, be thankful. i have struggled to have enough for my LO. instead of throwing out, think about donating it to a bank or finding someone with a problem like mine. i hate having to give my LO 1/2 formula bottles. such a great problem to have ladies, you are blessed!

You're right - and now that my milk is evening out, I wish I had my oversupply back! I have complained and I shouldn't have! Now I will go and visit the increasing milk threads to find ideas! Best of luck to you mommies!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months