Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see in the new Womanly Art of Breastfeeding?

Default Re: What do you want to see in the new Womanly Art of Breastfeeding?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    I realize this is part of the LLL philosophy, but since you're asking opinions, I found some of the language around working mothers kind of offensive and a turn-off. I ended up reading other books for that reason.
    I have heard this comment FREQUENTLY from working moms. Since working moms are bf more frequently - and it can be done! I think more encouragement of working moms and more tips for working moms would be great.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

When is the new edition supposed to coming out? I need to buy the book (the most recent edition) for my leadership training, and I don't know if I should hold off if a new edition is coming out soon....

Thanks!

Maybe some easy to reference charts for ways to tell if your baby is getting enough, and/or symptoms and treatment for things like thrush and mastitis. Just something so if a new mom is worried it is quicker and easier to look stuff up without having to read a whole chapter.

I agree with making it look more modern.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*flncmom View Post
    When is the new edition supposed to coming out? I need to buy the book (the most recent edition) for my leadership training, and I don't know if I should hold off if a new edition is coming out soon....

Thanks!
    I don't know for sure, but I think they're in the planning stages. It'll probably be a while.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I would have wanted a breastfeeding book to let me know that it can be challenging and that it doesn't always come so naturally to some. I had the hardest time in the beginning and felt like a failure because I had read it is natural and easy. I thought I had read everything there was to know and yet I some how still ended up feeling like that. But that was my BF bible when I was pregnant.
    First time mom to Kaylee
    at work and all other times
    GOAL: 3 months... 6 months... 9 months ...12 months...

I agree with the comment about how the womanly art doesnt seem friendly to working mothers. I hope that the new edition will give more encouragment to women who want to breastfeed who have to go back to work.
    I like seeing lots of research article citations and a bibliography so that the medical profession would start reading it. I also wish there was some way to get the book on more bookstore bookshelves. I never find it.
    I hate it that few moms know of it outside of LLL.
    Melissa, mommy of two breastfed girls
    http://sites.google.com/site/lalecheleagueoflewisburgtn/

Like others have said- more simple-to-read point form or chart type of info on common problems/solutions that is easy to find and read and apply, rather than as much general info that you have to spend a lot of time reading. I hope that makes sense. I've basically found Dr. Newman's info in his handouts online more helpful because of the way its layed out simply.

I agree with many of the previous posters.
    I'd like to see treatments for common issues, language that is more supportive of working mothers, and also language that is more inclusive of nontraditional families. While I appreciate the explanation that says LLL believes a married couple is the best home environment for a child, the reality is that many households no longer look like this. Single mothers, unmarried couples, and lesbian couples also need support and affirmation to be successful at breastfeeding, and I would hesitate to recommend the current addition of WAOB to my friends in these situations.
    I also think that, as more mothers are nursing children longer, toddler nursing and the special issues that come with that should get more discussion. I'd like to see discussions of how to set boundaries, how to teach nursing manners lovingly, and some mention of twiddling and tweaking and nursing gymnastics! I know a lot of mothers who have been very surprised by these behaviors. I think leaving this information out and requiring mothers to read an additional book reinforces the idea that nursing past infancy is "extra" instead of a normal part of the nursing relationship.

a section about bigger and i mean BIGGER breasted women and breastfeeding. I had no clue there were certain things I had to do with my LARGEEEEE (g now H) breasts for my little new born baby to latch on correctly. I almsost gave up until I found some links online on this forum!!

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

With food allergies on the rise I think it should have a section on how to recognize some of the symptoms and support on how to successfully breastfeeding on a restricted diet. There is honestly not much info out there on this in most books other than a causal mention. Based on just seeing what gets posted to the allergy forum here, a lot of kiddos had symptoms earlier on but they were overlooked by both the moms and doctors.
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies