Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see in the new Womanly Art of Breastfeeding?

Default What do you want to see in the new Womanly Art of Breastfeeding?

Teresa Pitman, Diane Wiessinger, and I (Diana West) are working together to develop the new edition of LLL's Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. We are really excited about this project and hoping to create a book that meets even more of the needs of new breastfeeding mothers today. We want your input! We want to know what you, your sisters, your friends, and your daughters want from a breastfeeding book that they aren't getting from the other books out there. Please share what you like about the WAB, what you don't like about it, and what new info, perspectives, or formats you'd like to see. Feel free to reply on the forums or to me personally at dwest@bfar.org.

Thanks so much for your contributions to this important project!

Diana West

Default Re: What do you want to see in the new Womanly Art of Breastfeeding?

I have the 2004 edition. The book was recommended to me and I bought it.

While I would occasionally browse it... honestly, it wasn't one of my favorites.

What I liked:
    Good intro to a lot of topics.

What I didn't like:

Somehow when I would look at it it reminded me of 1970's types of books, like old books my mom had from college and I would browse. Maybe it was the black and white pics everywhere and a lot of them have very 70's 80's ish hair. Now I know bf has been around forever but honestly my preferred books looked a little more up to date. If the pics look like they were taken before I was born, then how up to date is the info? (I know this may seem petty but really that's something that bothered me). So, my favorite book became Dr. Sear's breastfeeding book - and then I found lots of great online resources (mentioned below).

I was distracted by so many different types, and sizes of text font.

What I wish it would include (in addition to current topics, not in place of)
    Info. on lipase, and scalding including with a bottle warmer,
    More info. on nursing after a year and benefits of extended nursing - this should not be in the weaning chapter.
    Info. on tandem nursing - again why is this in the weaning chapter?
    Web links to more info. i.e. the llli forums, kellymom.com, or the askdrsears.com breastfeeding section are some of my favorites.
    Info. on what it's like to go to a LLL meeting, explain what happens there (how many people go there? do you have to pay to go? do you sit in a circle? how are they organized? etc.)
    Info. on who you could call for help.
    Info. on how to find a LC
    Info. on milk banks

That's it for now.

All the best to you as you revise this helpful resource for many moms.

bumping this up

I had a copy of it when I had my first baby, but I liked it much more when I read it again after my second -- when breastfeeding was going well and I could appreciate the overall philosophy of mothering through breastfeeding. With my first, breastfeeding was a difficult and frustrating experience and WAB was far too general to be useful. I ended up relying on The Nursing Mother's Companion (and I gave WAB away! ).

So my suggestion would be to have somewhat more in-depth troubleshooting information.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I think alot of moms need help figuring out how to find good local help...
    there is alot of help out there and some of its not that good, for mom or for baby.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    I think alot of moms need help figuring out how to find good local help...
    there is alot of help out there and some of its not that good, for mom or for baby.
    Tips on setting yourself up to succeed. Dr Newman has a handout on finding a good breastfeeding support person/people. Thats crucial. I personally think that a lot of people give up not because of the physical act of breastfeeding but because they can't handle the demands on time, emotions, marriage, etc.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*csan View Post

I was distracted by so many different types, and sizes of text font.

What I wish it would include (in addition to current topics, not in place of)
    Info. on lipase, and scalding including with a bottle warmer,
    More info. on nursing after a year and benefits of extended nursing - this should not be in the weaning chapter.
    Info. on tandem nursing - again why is this in the weaning chapter?
    Web links to more info. i.e. the llli forums, kellymom.com, or the askdrsears.com breastfeeding section are some of my favorites.
    Info. on what it's like to go to a LLL meeting, explain what happens there (how many people go there? do you have to pay to go? do you sit in a circle? how are they organized? etc.)
    Info. on who you could call for help.
    Info. on how to find a LC
    Info. on milk banks

That's it for now.

All the best to you as you revise this helpful resource for many moms.
    i agree with that part. I have the newest edition FTR.
    Perhaps you could add more info on multiples.. when my family member had her multiples i had to loan her my mothering multiples and WAB.
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

How about info on d-mer? I believe Diana Wiessinger is involved with Alia Macrina Heise regarding that. It would've really helped me to know more about it, how OTHER women deal with it, etc.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I realize this is part of the LLL philosophy, but since you're asking opinions, I found some of the language around working mothers kind of offensive and a turn-off. I ended up reading other books for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    I realize this is part of the LLL philosophy, but since you're asking opinions, I found some of the language around working mothers kind of offensive and a turn-off. I ended up reading other books for that reason.
    I would also like to see more support in the book for mothers who are working / pumping.

I'd also like to see more info on pumping (when to start, ways to increase supply, etc.), and on how to create a home climate conducive to a fair split of parenting responsibilities w/spouse even though you're doing all of the feeding [when you're home].
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png