Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Over or Under Supply?

Default Over or Under Supply?

HI everyone. I am new here and have been trying to weed through past posts to see if someone else already addressed this, but it was a task that proved overwhelming.

Anyway I am new mom- I have a 10 week old son. I am having a lot of trouble nursing. So far I have had 5 plugged ducts and mastitis 3.5 times (that 1/2 of a time I think I caught it early and nipped it in the bud) and a 7 week long case of thrush.

I was dealing with a self diagnosed case of "over supply". There were popping and clicking sounds during let down. I was engorged before every feeding and especially so in the morning- Leo was sleeping in 8 hour stretches at 4 weeks. He is also spitting up and projectile vomiting constantly. I should note he is growing like a week. He's nearly doubled his body weight and grown 5 inches in these 10 weeks.

Now suddenly it's.. gone. I always feel totally empty, the baby wants to nurse constantly and he's not having many wet diapers. We went form 10 or 12 a day to 4. I can't get ANYTHING when I pump. So I guess this is the part where I panic that I don't have enough milk? Help?

Thanks in advance
    Michele
    Last edited by Mushy1127; August 9th, 2006 at 01:31 PM.

Default Re: Over or Under Supply?

Hi, I was just wondering if you've started on birth control pills? The estrogen can cause your milk supply to drop. If so, you can switch to the "mini" pill, which does not contain estrogen.

Nope. No pills. I've not done anything differently at all. I am not sure if I am jsut finally regulating or if something is going wrong....

Here is some information to help determine if your baby is getting enough:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

If you think your supply is low, the best thing to do is to nurse more frequently. Ideally 10-12 times a day. It may also be helpful to nurse your son at least once in the night.

Does anybody know whether the Mirena IUD would play a role in our milk supply?
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

HI Everyone, I am new here. Hope it's okay to jump right in? I have a 2month old dd and breastfeeding has been soooooooo challenging this time (I have 2 other children). My milk will come out in like 7 streams and my dd just chokes and gulps air. I have tried some different things to make it stop, but nothing seems to work. She seems to have some symptoms of colic like gassy, spitting up, fussiness. So many times I have just wanted to quit and put her on the bottle because the feedings are so stressful. Please help!!!! Any suggestions would greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by mommy23littleangels
    HI Everyone, I am new here. Hope it's okay to jump right in? I have a 2month old dd and breastfeeding has been soooooooo challenging this time (I have 2 other children). My milk will come out in like 7 streams and my dd just chokes and gulps air. I have tried some different things to make it stop, but nothing seems to work. She seems to have some symptoms of colic like gassy, spitting up, fussiness. So many times I have just wanted to quit and put her on the bottle because the feedings are so stressful. Please help!!!! Any suggestions would greatly appreciated
    You poor mommy!! Don't give up ... and don't give her a bottle, your problem can be solved pretty easily. It sounds like you guys are dealing with an oversupply and overactive let down. It's rough, I know, my baby girl and I suffered through it. But once we figured out what was going on and how to fix the problem things improved very quickly.

Here is a wonderful page with information about oversupply/OALD:

Forceful Let Down / Oversupply

I also found this LLL resource very helpful, along with the advice of my local LLL Leader. Check this out here ...

Am I making too much milk?

LLL's page says the following:

"When a mother has more milk than her baby can handle, the following behaviors may be common:

Baby cries a lot, and is often very irritable and/or restless
    Baby may sometimes gulp, choke, sputter, or cough during feedings at breast
    Baby may seem to bite or clamp down on the nipple while feeding
    Milk sprays when baby comes off, especially at the beginning of a feeding
    Mother may have sore nipples
    Baby may arch and hold himself very stiffly, sometimes screaming
    Feedings often seem like battles, with baby nursing fitfully on and off
    Feedings may be short, lasting only 5 or 10 minutes total
    Baby may seem to have a "love-hate" relationship with the breast
    Baby may burp or pass gas frequently between feedings, tending to spit up a lot
    Baby may have green, watery or foamy, explosive stools
    Mother's breasts feel very full most of the time
    Mother may have frequent plugged ducts, which can sometimes lead to mastitis (breast infection)

If many of these experiences seem familiar to you, it may be because you have an overabundant supply of milk, which can cause a forceful milk ejection (sometimes referred to as overactive let-down), and/or foremilk-hindmilk imbalance. The infant behaviors described above are caused by these issues but may frequently be misdiagnosed as colic, lactose intolerance, milk protein allergy, reflux, or hypertonicity (stiff muscle tone)."
    I would highly recommend contacting a La Leche League leader or lactation consultant (IBCLC) for one-on-one support. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free. Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

There is also an excellent podcast LLL has about oversupply and overactive letdown. It's an MP3 file you can listen to. I also found this extremely helpful and informative ...

Oversupply of Breastmilk
    LLL Leader Karen Smith talks with Elisabeth Lewin about identifying and overcoming the challenges of an oversupply of breastmilk, and/or of a forceful milk letdown (aka overactive milk ejection reflex). (29 min.)

Please write back and let us know if any of that sounds familiar to you! You are doing a wonderful job hanging in there ... that takes terrific commitment, love and strength to do that for your baby.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you so much for replying. I have contacted the LLL in my area. She did not have a web site so I called her home phone and left a message. Thanks for the web links they have answered alot of my questions. I truely believe that I have OALD. Hopefully things will get better now that I have some more information about OALD.

Hi...looking through the post here for more information. Thanks for the list paint-the-moon. It was helpful to read. Many of the "symptoms" describe us to a 'T' and I have not heard of all of them being associated with OALD.