Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch...milk blister?

Default Ouch...milk blister?

Please help...I had been breastfeeding my dd (10 mths) without any problems until a week ago. I noticed two small white bumps on my right nipple. Feeding has become increasingly painful on that side. Yesterday, I had to start pumping on the RHS and bottle feeding. I don't have any symptoms of thrush other than pain on the nipple when baby is latched and slight burning afterwards. If you have been in my situation, what did you do? How do I know if I have a milk blister and can I treat it myself? I have a dr appt on Tuesday but can't wait!

Default Re: Ouch...milk blister?

Here's a link that may help: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

I used moist heat to treat my blisters, but almost always had to lance them with a sterile needle. They always healed within a day or two of breaking the blister. Afterwards, being very careful about my baby's latch and positioning helped prevent a recurrence.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Ouch...milk blister?

While you are working on getting the bleb to clear, make sure you also watch for plugged ducts which can lead to mastitis. Learned that one the hard way...
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.