Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipation

Default Constipation

TMI ALERT!!!!!

Hunter has been geting very constipated lately. Monday Hunter started stiffening his whole body as if it was so painful to poop. I had to gently hold the poop while he pushed it out and then I called his pedi. She told me to give him glycerin suppositories and juice to clean him out. Since starting the suppositories he has had two more painful poops and here are the pics is this normal?

First off he still nurses 6-8x/day and he eats lots of fruits,berries and veggies along with meat. He drinks from on and off all day and at meals. He will only drink water or ebm from a sippy as he hates juice. The only change in our diets would be that I have been eating more cereal, which means more milk. My dh has been giving hunter whole grain gold fish crackers and club crackers at night when I'm in the shower. He has since stopped and I have stopped drinking milk and I'm keeping a log of what we eat and adding flax seed meal to everything.

Should I be doing anything else to help him get back to normal?
    NAK

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

Default Re: Constipation

Awww, only mamas could love the sight of their kid's poop...I think of that every time I shake Nolie's into the toilet!

This might be obvious, but have you tried prunes? They always work for us. And fast too.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

We tried boxed prunes, prune juice and pureed prunes and it doesn't seem to help that much

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

Hmmm. That's too bad. It is such a quick and easy fix if it works!

Here is some info copied from Dr. Sears website. Maybe there is one or two there that you haven't tried yet.

Good luck!

CONSTIPATION IN INFANTS UNDER A YEAR

In addition to the above general tips for preventing and treating constipation at all ages, try these infant-specific tips:

* Delay introduction of solid foods, especially more constipating ones, such as rice and bananas. Instead of rice cereal, try barley cereal. Good starter high-fiber foods for constipated infants are pureed pears and prunes.
    * Ease the passage of stools using glycerin suppositories or liquid glycerin (as described above).
    * Add one teaspoon of flax oil once a day mixed into baby cereal or baby's bottle.
    * Watch for about-to-go signs. As soon as your baby begins to grunt, grimace, look bloated, or show signs of straining, quickly insert a glycerin suppository to ease the passage.

The Bath and Bowel Movement Technique
    Here is a Sears' family trick that helped us ease the passage of stools in several of our constipated babies. Although it's messy, it works. Immerse your baby in a warm bath so that the water is around chest-high. When your baby is relaxed in the bath, massage baby's abdomen and get ready for the mudslide.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I say this all the time .. but try flax seed oil. Mix it in applesauce and your lo wont even taste it. Its super healthy ( lots of good fats) and a natural laxative too. It always works for my dd. She gets constipated if she eats to much rice type stuff

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!