Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Donating BM

Default Donating BM

I don't know if this is the right area. I have over 600 ounces of breastmilk in the freezer and would like to donate some of it. I live in the Northwest and don't know how to contact a milk bank. I only want to do one that is not for profit if that is possible. I'm thinking I can donate 100 ounces right now and probably a lot more later.

What is the process? Has anyone done it? Which organizations are best?
    Mom to
    Carlie 4/3/08 - bf - Allergic to milk determined by allergy testing. Adding wheat, egg, & soy to my diet.
    Allergen free diet until 6 months. No gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, treenuts, seafood, and fish for mommy as a preventative.
    Birth - 9lbs. 1oz., 20 1/2"
    6 months - 19lbs. 15oz.

Peter 8/31/05 - bf/ebf until 14 months, was allergic to wheat and milk but outgrown these allergies. Eczema brought on by berries.
    and

Default Re: Donating BM

Check out this link:

http://www.hmbana.org/

Default Re: Donating BM

I have donated a lot of milk to HMBANA (link provided by PP). It has been a good experience.

In order to donate, I had to have my doctor and LO's doctor sign a piece of paper saying that both my baby and I are healthy. I filled out a form for the milk bank that asked about my medical history. Then, I went to a local private lab (paid for my the milk bank) to get blood drawn to test for HIV and a couple other things. Then, once I was ready to donate, they sent me a cooler to pack and send back to them (shipping paid by them). They usually want 200-300 ounces in a shipment though, to make the shipping worthwhile for them. They use FedEx, so I just go to the Kinkos down the road from me to send it. It gets to them the next day. They are in North Carolina and I am in Georgia.

Depending where you are, it looks like the closest one to you might be in BC.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine