Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Schedulers -help! Waking after 45 min-night. I'm so tired!

Default Schedulers -help! Waking after 45 min-night. I'm so tired!

#1 My two month old has started waking up at 4-5am for a feeding; After sleeping for5-6 hours. Not a problem but after she nurses she is only going back to sleep for 45min before she starts to cry again. Last night I burped her and changed her and she fed on both breasts. This was never a problem before even when she was going through growth spurts and nursing all night. She continues to do this all morning. I am not a morning person so this is making me nuts.
    #2 Since she is sleeping for 4-5hrs I'm not sure when to top her off at night. It seems that I feed her at 11pm and we are sleeping by midnight but my spouse and I are getting really exhasted from goinig to bed so late. And I am only sleeping 4 hours at night b/c of the #1 problem. I can't nap during the day b/c of my other daughter. I'm running out of gas!
    #3 Sometimes baby doesn't nurse well. Meaning she will shake her head back-and-forth with the nipple in her mouth and refuse to suck. This is happening during times when she is for surely hungry. Why won't she suck if she is hungry. I'm not worried about too strong of a let down and my diet really hasn't changed. I try to keep her burped. Again, I'm confused.
    Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Schedulers -help! Waking after 45 min-night. I'm so tired!

IMO, at 2 months having a 5-6 hour stretch is a really good thing, and is rare.
    I'm having a hard time understanding what you are asking for advice on...Are you looking for help with a schedule? It can be difficult to put a breastfed baby on any type of schedule. However, routines that revolve around their cues, can be helpful. are a couple articles that may be helpful...

http://parenting.ivillage.com/newbor...,,3wvp,00.html

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/schedules.html

early morning wakings are a very tough thing. The problem is that they are more rested by morning. 2 months is so young though, that could change many times in the next several months. When you do the "dream feed" is that when she has the biggest blocks of sleep? If so, maybe do it a little bit earlier...When we started doing dream feeds I would do it around 9:00pm, and then go right to bed. (although my LO always nursed every hour and a half to 2 hours, so when he woke at 11:00 that was a good thing for me).

Maybe she is shaking her head out of frustration, because she is hungry and wants the milk to "let down" right away? Could you try to feed her before you know she is really hungry? Or feed her when she is sleepy? Just some ideas...HTH!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Hmm . . . I have a question too. What do you mean by "topping her off"? I've never heard that expression before.

About the head shaking, I know some babies will try to bring on a letdown by tugging at the breast. Do you think she might be so frantic for food that she's trying to rush it? If that's the case, you can increase the frequency of her feedings or just try to be more in tune with her hunger cues so that she's never getting too hungry. The other thing I thought of was that if you have very forceful let down, she could be shaking her head and pulling off to try and prevent herself from choking. In that case, it might be useful to let her pull off for a few seconds before re-latching her. You'll have to make the call, though, because it's kind of impossible to know why she's doing that without seeing her.

As for the early morning nursings, are you getting up to nurse the baby? My son has always had his longest and most satisfying feeding of the day around 4 or 5 am and, in order to deal with it, I started bringing him into bed with me to nurse and then continue sleeping. My husband initially tolerated it because he would be up in about an hour anyway for work, but now he absolutely loves it and, if my son misses his early morning feeding for some reason, my husband complains and says he misses having that warm, cuddly baby in bed with us.

It can be sooooooo hard when you're not getting enough sleep but try to hang in there and try maybe thinking of some creative sleep solutions. Everybody alone, in their individual beds all night might be the cultural ideal but it's not the reality that most of the family's I know end up with.

Good luck!

What is dream feeding and IMO mean?

I'm sorry...a dream feed is the same thing as a "topping her off" feeding. Before you go to bed, you pick up the sleeping baby and feed him/her while they are still sleeping, and then put them back to bed (to fill their belly again before you go to sleep)...

IMO....In my opinion

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK