Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Switching sides?

Default Switching sides?

Why do some people nurse just on one side per feeding? What are the benifits to this? Does it ensure that the baby receives the hindmilk? My son is only 4 weeks old, so I am still learning. I feed him from both sides at each feeding. He nurses for about 10 min. on each side. I let him decide when he is done on each side. We had issues of weight gain the first few weeks and I guess I am just paranoid that he isn't getting the hindmilk. Thanks in advance for any info!

Default Re: Switching sides?

my dd is 14wks and only sometimes will she take the 2nd breast. she does go about 2-2 1/2hrs between and eats for about 15-20 mins. i just make sure that she starts w/the other next time. hopefully this awnsers some ?'s

In the beginning, I nursed on one side because i had an overactive milk supply so that would ensure that she was getting the hindmilk and filled up also, since she did not eat as much. Then we started with both sides at around 4-5 months because she wanted to eat more. At night, I feed off one side to "save" one side for pumping the one bottle in the morning.

My son always only ate on one side and fell asleep. I could never see a reason to wake a sleeping baby so I never did. At about six months when the weather got really hot I started making more of an effort to feed on both sides so he would get more hydration or feed more frequently. And often now he eats for so long I can't stand it and I'll flip him to the other breast after 25 or 30 min. Generally when this happens he falls asleep within 10 min....

When I first started nursing, I did the same thing you are, nursed around 10 minutes both sides...however my son was extreamly fussy. As such my LLLeague leader came to my house to trouble shoot. One of our problems was the fact that Zachary was getting alot of foremilk but little to no hind milk. So, I actually nursed on one side per 2-4 hours! (I made ALOT of milk!) IN order for him to receive the amount of hind milk he needed, to not be so fussy.

MOST people do not have this problem! but I pumed for a year with my daughter, so my body knew how to make milk (it was pumping 8 OZ's out of each breast, every 4 hours, when I stoped pumping.)

If your baby seems find, and is pooping ok, I think your probably fine.

When my daughter was a newborn, she would only take one side at a time. I couldn't keep her awake to feed on both sides. I could barely keep her awake for a decent amount of time on the one side! But her weight gain was really good, so there wasn't much of a concern. At around 2 months (I think...), she began wanting both sides. I'm definitely not an expert, but I think you can just let your baby decide. But if you're concerned about it, you can definitely talk to your pediatrician about it and have him/her keep an eye on your son's weight.