Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: possibly lactose intolerance???

Question possibly lactose intolerance???

My 3month old baby had eczema when he was 4wks, was spitting up a lot, and has very, very watery stools with mucus, the dr told me that it cold be an allergy to lactose, and told me to stay off the dairy. well i have and his spit up has gone away but the stools are still loose but they don't have any more mucus. what is considered "normal" stool for a lactose intolerant 3 month old?

Default Re: possibly lactose intolerance???

I do not know specifically about a lactose intollerant baby's stools, however it is considered normal for a 3 month old who is exclusivly breastfed to have loose stools. There is a difference between loose and watery and diarrhea like though. Here is a link that might help - http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...erns.html#poop

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

It probably is not lactose intollerance but a sensitivity or allergy to milk. Have you cut out all dairy including milk, whey, and cassein. Dairy likes to hide in a lot of places. One of the places that shocked me was in soy cheese! Labels that say dairy free or milk free may not be cassein free or whey free.

As the person above me said, bf poop is watery. My son't was creamy and ivory when I had dairy or wheat, which was what he was allergic to and I did not know it. Poop that is BLOWING OUT is more of a conern. Is the poop going all the way up your little one's back and down the legs? That would be more of a concern if it happening daily. One time my son's poop flew 5 feet (I am not joking!).
    Mom to
    Carlie 4/3/08 - bf - Allergic to milk determined by allergy testing. Adding wheat, egg, & soy to my diet.
    Allergen free diet until 6 months. No gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, treenuts, seafood, and fish for mommy as a preventative.
    Birth - 9lbs. 1oz., 20 1/2"
    6 months - 19lbs. 15oz.

Peter 8/31/05 - bf/ebf until 14 months, was allergic to wheat and milk but outgrown these allergies. Eczema brought on by berries.
    and

I agree...it may be a temporary sensitivity that your LO will outgrow, and keep a watch on what you eat for hidden dairy. It is in alot of foods.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I have cut out completely on all thing that are dairy and only drinking lactose free milk. ( i miss them sooooo much ) I do hope he grows out of it, My 5 year old son had the same problem and did eventually grow out of it. In regards to his stools they were running out of his diapers every time 3 to 4 x a day, but they're not runny any more and have gone down to only 1 to 2 x a day. thanks for your responds

You are drinking lactose free milk?

I don't want to sound like a *itch, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves coming from a doctor. If they are going to go doling out allergy advice, they need to know what they are talking about and clearly this doctor does not.

Lactose intolerance RARELY happens in infants because ALL milk has lactose, including human milk, which contains more lactose than cow's milk. It is true that an infant can have lactose intolerance in very rare circumstances, but a milk allergy has to do with the protein in cow's milk, not the lactose, which is a milk sugar. If your lo has eczema, it very well may be an allergy to cow milk PROTEIN, not lactose (egg is another huge eczema trigger). If your child was lactose intolerant, it does not matter what you eat since your milk is composed largely of lactose in the first place. They would be in fact reacting to YOUR milk as well, not from cow milk that you are consuming.

If your lo has a problem with dairy, drinking lactose free milk is not going to alleviate any issues.

Well see that was one of the things that i cold not understand, because I did some reading about it and I did reed about that and it's weird because if I eat cheese, sour cream, ice cream, and so on, his poop gets very watery, but i still drink the lactose free milk.

And I had two Dr.'s see him for this and one said it was an intolerance and the other that maybe a milk allergy. But what you say ( shannon75) dose make sense. So what should I be drinking, since its clear that if I eat any thing that's dairy affects him????

I really don't want to stop bf my lo

You can try rice milk or soy milk, although a lot of babies who are sensitive to milk proteins can also be sensitive to soy.

I personally drink Rice Dream - the original enriched version. I use it on cereal, in mashed potatoes, etc. Now that I've been drinking it for almost 5 months I can't really imagine drinking the real stuff again.

If you go to the Allergies forum you can find a lot of info regarding hidden sources of dairy. http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37 Go to the Allergy List sticky.

ETA: You do not have to stop BFing!! If your LO has a milk sensitivity or allergy (not lactose intolerance), most of the store-bought formulas you might give your baby would be milk- or soy-based anyway, making the problem worse, not better. So many mamas on this board are dairy-free for their LO's, and although it's a lifestyle adjustment, it really becomes the new "norm." Good luck!
    Last edited by @llli*kaitlyns.mom; September 15th, 2008 at 12:03 AM.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eeapanditos23 View Post
    Well see that was one of the things that i cold not understand, because I did some reading about it and I did reed about that and it's weird because if I eat cheese, sour cream, ice cream, and so on, his poop gets very watery, but i still drink the lactose free milk.

And I had two Dr.'s see him for this and one said it was an intolerance and the other that maybe a milk allergy. But what you say ( shannon75) dose make sense. So what should I be drinking, since its clear that if I eat any thing that's dairy affects him????

I really don't want to stop bf my lo
    It can be an intolerance, not an allergy, but it would be a milk protein intolerance. Intolerance usually involves more digestive issues, while an allergy involves rash, vomiting, breathing issues, etc... Lactose intolerance is where people cannot digest the milk sugar. Things like cheese actually have very little lactose it.

You can certainly nurse your lo without consuming any dairy!!!! I was dairy free for a year and a half, along with many many other things (soy, nut, gluten, fish, egg, and some months with no potato, rice, or corn, the list is long)

You don't have to drink any milk as a substitute, just up your intake of leafy greens and find a calcium supplement. If you want a substitute for baking, coconut milk works really well in baked goods. Rice milk is good on cereal and things like that.

Definitely check out the allergy forum. I will bump a thread called 'products we love'. It has pages of dairy free options. You can also look at the recipe sticky at the top of the page.

Here is the 'products we love' thread.http://forums.llli.org:80/showthread.php?t=21171
    Last edited by @llli*shannon75; September 15th, 2008 at 04:58 AM.

i will keep every thing in mind. I will also try the soy milk or the rice milk, but I will definitely get the calcium supplements. Thanks for the links I will take a look on them and do a lot more reeding on this. Thanks again for the info.