Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: CT scan/ need help

Default CT scan/ need help

I have to get a CT scan next week that involves an injection of omnipaque. The doctor says I have to stop breastfeeding for at least 48 hours. I pump about 6 oz a day for her to drink while I'm at work and I nurse on my lunch hour. I'm worried about pumping that much and the effects on the baby of not getting the breast from me. She's 7 months old and healthy.
    We tried formula once a few weeks ago and she wouldn't take it.
    Help!

I love this site and credit it with my success for 7 months.

Default Re: CT scan/ need help

You shouldn't have to stop breastfeeding. See this site:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/radioisotopes.html

I have had several CTs during the past year with Omnipaque. You don't have to stop nursing. I will find the info I have from the American Academy of Radiology and post it for you.

ETA: I see lionsheart already posted a link! I should have read first lol.

yeah and your baby is older and eating some solids...
    CAll your local leader and she can check Dr hales book for you!

thanks everybody!! I guess I'm in a milder state of panic than yesterday. My DH wants the doctor or radiologist to officially clear me to nurse-which I understand he's trying to protect the baby but I also want to protect her from throwing up and screaming for 48 hours. I found the package insert for Omnipaque online which says cleared for lactation and I was also going to print the screen from Kellymom and see if that changes the doctor's mind. I also called back the original doctor who ordered the test to make sure he knows I'm breastfeeding. Is there any other authority I can quote or handout to argue with?
    If I can't resolve it by Monday I think I can delay the test which would at least give me some time to build a bottle stash. We don't have a human milk bank here.

Sorry to be so long-I feel like only other nursing moms understand where I'm coming from.

yeah if you can delay the test....
    that might be the best idea.