Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suggestions on how to cut down feedings

Default Suggestions on how to cut down feedings

Anyone have any? Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of the frequency and length of feedings with my 18-mo old. I'm tired of always having my hair used as a binkie (he grabs it in one or both fists and rubs his thumb(s) on the ends that are sticking out.) I want more freedom. I'm losing myself in this relationship. DH was going strong on the boob until nearly 4 years of age (when he was forcibly weaned) and I see DS following in his dad's footsteps. I don't mind extended BFing but it's got to lessen a little...
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: Suggestions on how to cut down feedings

It's okay to set limits at that age...DS is 22 months old, and lately I have been saying "not right now" or "you already had some, would you like a snack?" I also say "when we get home" or "when we get to the car" if he wants to nurse when we are out and about. He seems to understand, and I have been trying to redirect him a bit, to spark an interest in something else. I am not ready to wean him fully by any means, but just would like him to cut down a bit. Have you night weaned your LO yet? We night weaned around 15-16months, and that helped alot (although he still nurses at night when sick or traveling. Right now he has a bad cold, so we are back to night nursing for a few nights). I have a feeling he will be nursing for a super long time too, as milkies is his "lovey" and he really isn't attached to anything else. I did however find that redirecting, and setting limits has helped a bit.
    HTH!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

yup its ok to set limits at that age! A litte bit at a time. Not to quick watch you toddler, if you see them getting sad or angery
    let up for a few days.

I've tried distracting him or redirecting him towards some solid food using various expressions to do so. It doesn't work. If he's made up his mind to BF, that's what he wants.

We haven't night-weaned yet. That's next!
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertmama View Post

We haven't night-weaned yet. That's next!
    This will help alot. I found I could handle the frequent day feedings, when I was more rested and less irritable. I'm sure you've seen on here, but lots of pp on here use Dr. Jay Gordon's night weaning method, with good success...

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

are you co-sleeping?
    Sometimes putting distance between you and baby helps with night weaning.

We are co-sleeping. I'm not sure how to change that arrangement in the very near future as he sleeps between DH and I. We are going to buy a tiny child's bed for our room and see if we can get him into that for naps. If the move is successful then we'll try for nighttime.

When I was weaning DS a bit at the beginning of my pregnancy, I started counting to 10 when I wanted a nursing session to end. (I didn't use it all the time, just when I wanted/needed to.) He could then have the other side if he wanted and we would repeat the process. This worked well for us, allowing him to nurse and me to have more control. These were then the sessions he dropped first.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

When I was weaning DS a bit at the beginning of my pregnancy, I started counting to 10 when I wanted a nursing session to end. (I didn't use it all the time, just when I wanted/needed to.) He could then have the other side if he wanted and we would repeat the process. This worked well for us, allowing him to nurse and me to have more control. These were then the sessions he dropped first.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

So frustrated! He nursed 5 times this morning in the space of 2 hours. He just kept making his BFing "noise" (coughing and panting - real classy stuff) and pulling up my shirt. If I got up and tried to ignore him or get food for him, he followed me with his blanket making the "noise."

Maybe I should just forget about it until he's 2??? Grrr...