Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Distinct smell in BM; tastes fine

Default Re: Distinct smell in BM; tastes fine

I don't know what to say about the smell, but I think that if a person is giving a bottle to a normally breastfed baby, they don't always appreciate that the little ones pick up on their vibes (sorry if this sounds a bit new ageish) and if your mum's not necessarily into it, maybe it's rubbing off on your lo. I'm not all that experienced at all, but I think it would be really unusual for a baby to not 'like' breast milk. I've made the mistake of eating too much garlic (messy nappies... oops) and even though my bm smelt like salad dressing, she liked it as much as usual. Good luck with the daytime feeding
    Proud mummy to Lillypig, in love with my best friend and partner, Batfink
    One year done, and still going strong.

sounds like
    this is her problem:
    She thinks maybe I should switch to formula

As long as baby isn't missarable then what differnce does it make if she doesn't have a bottle when you are gone?

oh and how old is baby?
    if she is older then 6 months maybe you could have your mom give her a little bit of mashed bannanna or avacado, and she'll back off the formula pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    sounds like
    this is her problem:
    She thinks maybe I should switch to formula

As long as baby isn't missarable then what differnce does it make if she doesn't have a bottle when you are gone?
    Agree. Maybe mom has a small problem with breast milk and is looking for excuses to switch to formula? If you're worried about a slight smell with BM, formula smells WAY more nasty so that wouldn't help the smell. I say if it's not a laipse (sp?) issue then you milk is fine!

LO may just really perfer nursing and as you mentioned be a reverse cycler, Can you try EBM in a sippy or regualr cup?

We use the Nuby sippys that have a flexible top so they are easy to transition from a bottle. DS drinks my milk from them at DC and has since 7 months.

we use this one http://www.netkidswear.com/1nubybabycup.html
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

She wants me to switch to formula because she has seen me struggling with BFing since day one and she doesn't want to see me struggle anymore. She's not against BFing as she had 8 kids and BF all of them.

She knows the importance of BFing and respects my decision to continue to BF. She just hates to see me go through struggle after struggle.

I have thought about sippy cups but if she's not taking the bottle will she not reject he sippy too?
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

maybe not!

no, it's a different movement so they can get used to it. Even newborns can be taught to drink from a regular cup

One other thing about the smell, sometimes if you've eaten something strong it will flavor BM so I would also think there would be a slight varriance in the smell depending on what you have been eating.

Hang in there!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

My son refused all bottles but loved those Nuby sippies. Definitely worth a try.

Also, another idea is that your mother may be expecting her to eat a pretty significant amount when your daughter is content to get by on the bare minimum until she's back with you. Is the baby unhappy? Is she having a healthy amount of wet diapers during the day? It seems quite possible that she's eating exactly as much as she needs to in order to get through the day.

And kudos to you for being so dedicated to breastfeeding. A lot of people would have quit already in the face of such hardships but it says a lot about your character and your devotion to your daughter that you're working your way through all this.

My BM smells funny AND tastes funny sometimes! I think it is the fat starting to breakdown but have been told that if the baby will drink it, it's OK.

I've also heard that babies won't starve themselves. If your little one is really really hungry, she'll eat. If not, might wait for you.

Definitely keep at it. I went through a lot in the beginning too, and had problems getting my son to take a bottle. Don't give up. You have come soooo far!!!