Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distinct smell in BM; tastes fine

Default Distinct smell in breastmilk; tastes fine

My mom cares for my DD while at work and DD has never really taken the bottle of EBM very well. There's days DD drinks it just fine but more often than not she refuses it. She nurses for long stretches during the evening with me. I know this sounds like a classic case of reverse cycling but my mom seems to think that she doesn't "like" my milk anymore. She says at times when she's struggling to get her to drink from the bottle she spits out the milk and doesn't really drink it.

Today was one of those days so I asked her to taste it and she did. She says it tastes fine but has a distinct smell. She says it smells rubbery??? Like the smell of a rubber band??? I'm worried now...

Has anyone else smelled their milk and have a similar smell? Is my milk still ok if it tastes fine but smells weird? I would be devastated if I couldn't BF anymore.
    Last edited by @llli*number1mommy; September 12th, 2008 at 01:25 PM.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Default Re: Distinct smell in BM; tastes fine

could it just be the bottle?

sometimes they get stinky if they aren't cleaned well....

Does she think you should wean all together?

I agree- maybe the bottle or the nipple.

And at first I read BM as bowel movement and I was like, "WHAT?!?"
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    could it just be the bottle?

sometimes they get stinky if they aren't cleaned well....

Does she think you should wean all together?
    My mom is very meticulous about cleaning the nipples, I use Playtex nursers. She sterilizes every night. And I use lansinoh BM storage bags and I clean my pumping supplies after each use and sterilize them every night.

She thinks maybe I should switch to formula. I refuse to do this. I have overcome so many BF struggles (latch problems, very cracked nipples-early on, OS/OALD issues, etc.) that quitting now would completely devastate me!

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post

OMG! I guess I should have spelled it out in light of the "smell" and "taste" part of the thread!

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

I don't have any insight on the odd smell, but I do wonder if perhaps your baby is just not that into bottles? Perhaps she likes nursing so much that she's willing to wait for the real deal in the right container! If so, switching to formula definitely wouldn't help. Do you work close enough to your mom's that she could bring your baby to you for an afternoon nursing session?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yup, me too. Well, at least you got our attention!!!

I doubt your baby would be happier with formula if she's refusing Breast Milk. I think my milk smelled a little strange sometimes too (not bad, just odd, like you describe). I don't know what caused it, but it never seemed to bother my little guy. It's possible the two things are completely unrelated.

It doesn't surprise me to hear that formula has been suggested.
    My LO simply did not like to drink from bottles and the older he got the pickier he got. DH had to give him sippy cups of my milk, a syringe, or a spoon. It was a little crazy from about 4-7 months (I went back to work at 4mo). After 7 months he could go the stretches of time I was gone since I only work pt (4-6 hrs. at a time). If it was a six hour shift and DS was crazy he would bring him by since I work close to home and I would just nurse him in the car. This did not happen very often. Good luck. I know it is definitely not easy but you do not need to give formula. Whose to say your LO will like it anyway.
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165

Me too

Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I don't have any insight on the odd smell, but I do wonder if perhaps your baby is just not that into bottles? Perhaps she likes nursing so much that she's willing to wait for the real deal in the right container! If so, switching to formula definitely wouldn't help. Do you work close enough to your mom's that she could bring your baby to you for an afternoon nursing session?
    I'm not switching to formula. I told my mom that she's drinking breat milk until she weans.

She's really never taken to the bottles of EBM since I went back to work. I have tried so many different bottles and nipples to no avail. Unfortunately I don't work close to my mom's so that's not a viable option.

Don't know what else I can do, short of quitting my job! I'm seriously considering it.

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals: