Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going to be Weaning Soon

Default Going to be Weaning Soon

DD is 10 1/2 months and I plan on starting the weaning process in a couple of weeks. I need to go back on my anti-depressent and the only one that has ever worked for me without negative side effects is not safe to take while breastfeeding. All the other ones that I have taken while breastfeeding lowered my milk supply to nearly nothing. I have not been taking anything for the past 6 months and it has been a difficult time for everyone around me with my moodiness.

My problem is, DD will not take EBM in a bottle about 95% of the time. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue. She won't even take it from a sippy cup or the Born Free transition sippy cups or just a plain cup. Every once in a while she surprises me and takes it perfectly.

So my question is, what is the best way to ease her into the bottle/sippy cup? I plan on taking out one feeding every couple of days to a week and go from there and try offering her EBM. If she doesn't take it, do I give in and BF her or just keep trying? I have heard that she won't starve herself, but not sure how true that is. Any thoughts would help me. Thank you.
    Married my soulmate Jay 4/22/06
    First time Mom to Alexis 10/29/07 6lbs 15oz 19 3/4 in
    6 month checkup 12lb 10oz 26 1/2 in
    7 month weight check 14lb 6oz - Yea!!
    9 Month checkup - 16lbs

and

Love to

Goal
    6 months
    9 months
    12 months

Default Re: Going to be Weaning Soon

I think probably the least stressful way for everyone is probably a good way to go. You don't want to force the bottle or sippy on her because that will probably just make her refuse it even more and your further set back.

Will she take the bottle or a sippy from someone else? Will she take water out cup? You might have to play around with some things to really hit on what's going to work.

How's it been going?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

She has taken a bottle twice from someone else recently, but most of the time won't. She completly refuses it from me.

She does drink water from straw cups and I have tried BM from them, but she refuses it. Not sure what to do.
    9 Month checkup - 16lbs

and

Love to

Goal
    6 months
    9 months
    12 months

What would you guys be moving to if you weaned before a year? I'm presuming formula? Will she take that from the straw cup?
    Breastmilk/formula should definitely be her main source of nutrition for the first year! Or maybe you were thinking to start weaning now to be done at a year?

I'm wondering if there's anything you could do with your medication, the older the baby and the less you nurse the less risk there is associated with it. I have Dr. Hale's book Medications and Mother's Milk I could look up the drug you need to take if you've not already done that!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Yes, I am planning to be fully weaned at the year mark. So I have about 6 weeks to get there. I have a huge freezer stash that will probably last me a good 2-4 months after the year mark. I will not be giving her formula. I know the weaning process can take a good 4-6 weeks, so that is why I figured I would start now.

I need to get back on Prozac. I take a very small dose of about 5mg, but it is the only anti-depressant that works for me without the bad side effects. I was told that it is not good to be taking while BF and I am afraid it will lower my milk supply like the other ones did. But I would consider still BF if it was safe to take and didn't hurt my LO.
    9 Month checkup - 16lbs

and

Love to

Goal
    6 months
    9 months
    12 months

I've heard that offering the EBM cold instead of heating it sometimes works...never tried it myself, but it may be worth a shot!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa