Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping through part 2

Question Sleeping through part 2

My 12 week old has been STTN for about 4 weeks now, about 10 hours- 9pm to 7am ish. I have been having some supply issues because of this though, so I have been pumping at 11pm and 2.30am. She is a big girl (8lb 9oz at birth, 8lb 6oz lowest weight and is now 16 1/2lb at 12 weeks) and has about 6 feeds during the day including a really good one before bed. I don't seem to be having any other problems (apart from toothy fussiness) so is it ok to keep pumping? I do it every night, but would I be ok to drop the 2.30 am pump to every other night without losing supply? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ladies x
    Proud mummy to Lillypig, in love with my best friend and partner, Batfink
    One year done, and still going strong.

Default Re: Sleeping through part 2

sorry, i think this should have been in the production section

somebody will move it.
    Lucky your getting some sleep!
    Expect that to change during periods of growth.

count diapars then you'll know that baby is getting the milk they need.
    WEIGHT GAIN:
    If baby is gaining well on mom’s milk alone, then baby is getting enough. A 5-7% weight loss during the first 3-4 days after birth is normal. Baby should regain birth weight by 2 weeks. Once mom’s milk comes in, average weight gain is 6 oz/week. If these goals are not met, call your lactation consultant. More on weight gain.
    WET DIAPERS: 5 - 6+ sopping wet diapers per day (after 1st week).
    Expect one wet diaper on day one, increasing to 5-6 by one week. To feel what a sufficiently wet diaper is like, pour 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of water into a clean diaper (if baby wets more often, then the amount of urine per diaper may be less). Urine should be pale and mild smelling.
    DIRTY DIAPERS: 3 – 4+ dirty diapers per day (after day 4).
    Stools should be yellow (no meconium) by day 5 and the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is usually yellow and is loose (soft to watery, may be seedy or curdy). More on infant stooling.
    OTHER POSITIVE SIGNS: After a feeding, mom’s breast feels softer and baby seems reasonably content. Baby is alert, active and meeting developmental milestones.

Are you pumping b/c you are away from her during the day? Why do you feel your supply is suffering? It's normal for your body to adjust and make less milk at night if your lo is not nursing during that time, but still make enough milk overall.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I'm not away from her during the day, I'm just completely paranoid that it's going to run out if i don't pump regularly. she had a bit of a growth spurt recently ( i think ) and it was quite distressing as she was so angry when she started to get to the bottom of the barrel so to speak! I seem to have plenty of milk at the moment- I'm getting about 4 oz at the 11pm session and 6 oz at the 2am session (she's in bed at nine). I feel better that there's more there for her, but I don't know if it's the right thing to do because of the foremilk/hindmilk issue I want to breastfeed for as long as I possibly can, and I just keep thinking what if it all dries up? i don't supplement with formula or anything. Thanks for your help x

Milk is made on a supply and demand basis. Your milk supply will not diminish or dry up for no reason. During growth spurts, our los want more, therefore nurse more (and are sometimes unhappy in the process), but your body responds in the next day or two by making more milk. Your body is constantly making more milk, so as long as you keep your lo at the breast a lot during a growth spurt, they will continue to get what they need. (Growth spurts are NOT times to supplement, just plan to park yourself in a comfy spot for a couple of days with lots of food and water for yourself and nurse.)

I have a personal example that might help to ease your fears a bit. When DS was 17 mo, he went on a 10 day nursing strike. He went from nursing 8-10 times a day down to 2 or 3. At times, I was only nursing on one side once in 24 hours. My supply did decrease over that time (I was only expressing milk for comfort for the first few days) and it was very low by the end of the strike. After he started nursing again, though, my supply came right back up to where it had been in the matter of a few days. Our bodies are truly amazing in their capacity to make the right amount of milk.

So, you can safely wean yourself from pumping at night (you might need to pump decreasing amounts over a few days for your own comfort) and rest assured that overall, you will make enough milk for her and continue to do so as long as you continue to nurse.

Hope you can enjoy your extra sleep!
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Thank you- that's made me feel so much better