Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!

Default Help!

Hi all,

First off, I just want to say thanks so much for all of your advice...It has helped me through some rough patches these past few months. Anyway, my LO is 3 and a half months old and she has been doing very well with BF all along. Just this past week, she's been having a bit of a hard time and I can not figure it out! To begin with, Saturday, my husband and I had a wedding so we left her with my sister for the first time overnight. She had breastmilk the whole time, but it was in a bottle. During the day I guess she ate 5 oz at a time and at night she at about 9. (I pumped about 4 times while I was away from her) Ever since leaving her, she has been latching ok and seems to be eating, but halfway through and at the end, she pulls off and starts screaming...almost like she is not getting enough. Then she tries to latch again and pulls off 3 or 4 more times and just cries. This has mostly been happening in the evenings more so than during the day. Also, to add to it, I started the mini pill on Sunday and I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. She also had been sleeping about 10 - 12 hours a night with no disruptions and this past week, she is waking about every 2 - 3 hours. I have tried feeding her, but it doesn't seem to help. She usually finds her thumb to suck on and falls back to sleep within 5 - 10 minutes, but it just is so not like her. Also, up until this week, she was such a happy baby (smiling, cooing etc) and this week, I've had a hard time pulling smiles out of her. Sorry for such a long post, but I'm really concerned and wanted to give all the details so maybe someone could give me some suggestions. Another thing too is she is not running a fever and has been drooling a lot...could this be teething? I know it is early and drooling doesn't always signify teething, but the fussiness and stuff is so strange for her. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me! I really appreciate it!

Default Re: Help!

The mini pill can cause low supply. it should get better in time
    she could be teething, can you try some teething tabs, cold washcloth, etc?
    it could be a growth spurt.

Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

Thanks for getting back to me! I really appreciate that you took the time to respond! Yes, i have tried some teething rings and she does not seem that interested in them. A friend of mine also said you can usually feel a tooth coming through under the gums and I haven't been able to feel anything, so I'm not sure if that is it. I suppose it could be a growth spurt, but it only really seems bad at nighttime. Last night was another horrible night. I was almost ready to take her in to see the Doc b/c she was screaming so bad, it seemed like something hurt. She also seemed to have an aversion to my breast. Everytime I tried to put her on it, she just screamed, but then she finally ate and fell asleep right afterward. She finally went to bed and slept 9 1/2 hours...I am going to keep trying the pill for another few days and see if she gets any better. We'll see! Thanks again for your support!

By the way, I love your daughter's name! That is my name and I even spell it with an i! Do you call her Candi?