Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby With A Cold

Default Baby With A Cold

Help! My ds has his first big baby cold at 5 months. His nose is stuffy so he hated to nurse since he can't breathe. Any tricks I should know about? We have a vaporizer, he's on albuterol, we use Vicks at night and I have a turkey-baster suction thingie. What else can I do to make him feel better? And if I megadose on, say, Vitamin C will he get more vitamin C in my breastmilk and will this help?

Default Re: Baby With A Cold

I wouldn't give Vit. C to a 5 month old. Your breastmilk provides all that he needs for nutrition and to fight off illness.
    Keep his head propped up while sleeping. I've also heard of others who have squirted breastmilk up their lo's nose to help break up the mucous. It's hard when the don't want to nurse.

Call your Ped. I'm not sure at what age it's okay to give Dimetapp. I do not like to give meds unless it's absolutely necessary and we are desperate. The last cold my dd had she was sooo miserable, she couldn't nurse or breathe, it was horrible and something had to be done. I did not have time or the patence at that time to research natural remedies. We gave her some Dimetapp and it worked wonderfully. We only gave it to her a couple of times though and only when necessary. Call your Ped. to find out at what age it's okay and the dosage to give.

Good luck. I hate when our lo's are sick.

My ped advised us to use a preservative-free saline nasal spray (available OTC at the drug store). DD hated it, but if we sprayed it and used the aspirator, that usually cleared her up enough to eat.

DS got his first cold while we were on vacation a few weeks ago. I tried the breastmilk up the nose thing. I put it in with a syringe, waited a minute and then suctioned with a bulb syringe. The relief was short lived but enough to help DS nurse. I also turned a hot shower on in the bathroom and sat on the floor with the boppy to nurse. The steam helped a lot. We did this 3-4x a night. Of course, we were in a hotel so I didn't have to worry about the hot water bill or running out of hot water!

Be prepared - that first baby cold can last awhile. Luke started feeling better by around the 10 day mark and wasn't fully over it for 2 wks.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I totally agree with several of the PP suggestions re: sitting in a warm, steamy shower room with baby, having a humidifier run in the room where baby is sleeping and absolutely double check with pediatrician before giving any medicine. Our ped is - in general - not big on meds for babies, but has encouraged us to use benadryl for congestion. Note that benadryl makes some babies sleepy, makes some (3% - including one of my nieces!) hyper, and has no impact on others, drowsiness wise. Sterile saline and syringe before nursing can be really helpful, too.
    good luck.....-linda