Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let down?

Default Let down?

Many of you talk about let down, but what does it feel like? I am assuming you mean when the milk starts flowing, though I've never been able to feel it...

Is this odd?

Default Re: Let down?

I think some ladies feel it, and some don't. I felt it, for me it's a very full warm tingly feeling. I don't seem to feel it anymore though.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

I've been nursing for 2.5 years, and still haven't felt a letdown. I know I'm having one when my daughter starts gulping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Some of my letdowns are tingly to the point of being uncomfortable, bordering on slightly painful. Sometimes I can have three or four letdowns when nursing my DD (I know because she starts gulping it down) and the subsequent ones are more of a warm flowing feeling. (Not sure that makes sense.) And sometimes I don't feel anything at all but I know I had one because DD starts gulping.
    Wife to Phil
    Stepmama to Tyler age 10, Talia age 8, and McKayla age 7
    Mama to Riley, age 4 (almost 5) and sweet baby Zoey, 10 months

Let down for me felt like pins and needles.. Like when your feet fall asleep.. but some women don't feel it at all...
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

For me it was the tingly feeling. with the gulping, though. Just listen for that.
    Robin

Yeah I get a tingly feeling too. For me though, I never have felt letdown while nursing DD or pumping, only when I have a letdown and I'm not nursing her.
    new mom to yael justine, born 12/20/07 4lbs 7oz

cloth diapers all the way!

I've been nursing for a combined 5+ years and have never felt a let down.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

I nursed dd for just over a year and never felt a let down.

Count me among those who've never felt a let down. I think everyone's different in how (and whether) they feel it.