Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I've had low supply for multiple months...and trying everything...now using Reglan...

Default I've had low supply for multiple months...and trying everything...now using Reglan...

Hi ,

I am new to the forums, and have read through many. Although, I am not sure if the two capital letters referring to your babies are their initials, nicknames, etc. I'll just refer to my almost 4 month old daughter as Peanut. She is my pride and joy, and I wouldn't go through this struggle for months if i didn't love her from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. I want her to have breastmilk and I'll do whatever I have to, to give it to her.

From birth, we were separated due to complications. I did not even get to see her until she was almost 3-4 days old. Thankfully, the nursing staff would help me pump while i was in icu, to get her colostrum and to get my milk coming in. After being released, we were exclusively bfeeding for about 3-4 weeks. Then at my 4 week checkup, my dr. gave me a progesterin only pill for birth control. this zapped my supply and i have struggled since. I took it for about 3 weeks total, before I figured out that was the problem. I had to supplement her feeding with 1/2 formula and 1/2 breastmilk. I have tried taking Fenugreek (4 pills 3x day), Blessed Thistle (3 pills 3x day) Nettle (2 pills 2x day), Mommy's milk tea, and I just got Goat's Rue the other day but haven't tried it. I have also tried upping my protein intake and water intake. None of these were working for me, even a little, so a couple weeks ago, i started Reglan. Thankfully, I am able to nurse my peanut now, even though she eats every 2 hours roughly. My mom is taking care of her while I am at work, (boo, didn't want to have to come back to work a couple weeks ago ) Right now, I am taking 2, 10 mg pills 2x day, and my milk is coming in a little more. i was taking 3 pills before, but tried to wean off, and my supply dropped in a day. So, i am going to try to stay on 2 for awhile, if i can. I have moved to where I can give some of her feedings all breastmilk! But I am trying to not only give her enough milk for the next day, but to get some stored up, as my mom is going through my storage stash pretty quickly. I pump when i get up, if it's not time for her to eat, at work 3 times a day, and at least once at night. When I am with her, i bfeed her. When I am away, she gets a bottle with almost all my milk. She is drinking about 5.5 oz of formula/bmilk or 6 oz bmilk at almost each feeding at my mom's.

Here are my questions...has anyone taken Reglan for a long period of time, and if so, how long. I know i have read that it can cause depression, i know what to look for, for that. And i read that there should be no side effects in infants with the doseage i am taking.

Another question, should i try to take my herbs with Reglan? Dr. said it would be okay, but i didn't know if anyone has done this or not?

Please, please ladies, any other suggestions, please let me know, i am doing whatever it takes to get my milk abundantly overflowing for my precious peanut.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions, I hope we can all make it through and help each other through this rough time.

Default Re: I've had low supply for multiple months...and trying everything...now using Regla

I'm glad you found us!

I bet the abbreviation you noticed most was "LO", which stands for "Little One" meaning your baby.

Congratulations to you on the hard, hard work you've done to give your little Peanut your milk.

The lowmilksupply.org website has good information on Reglan and other galactogoues: here

Just yesterday at our monthly LLL meeting, a mother was talking about how many ounces her baby took from a bottle when mother was gone. It was at least twice what the mother had been able to pump. One suggestion was to ask the grandmother (who was caring for the baby, just as in your case ), to offer fewer ounces at a time. Just because there are five ounces sitting in the refrigerator does not mean she should put all five into the bottle. She can try maybe 1.5 or 2 ounces, burp the baby and see how he's doing. Then, if the baby still seems hungry, she offer another ounce or two. With a bottle, the milk can flow so easily and the grandmother wants to cuddle and feed her grandchild so much, that it is possible to overfeed a bit. Just a thought...
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Default Re: I've had low supply for multiple months...and trying everything...now using Regla

Thank you for the warm welcome! I figured LO was little one, but just wanted to be sure. I saw one that was using DD, DS, etc. i thought those may be initials. Thanks for clearing it up!

I have not been to that site, I will go there and check it out. I started Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle and Nettle yesterday (again), to see if they will help in conjunction with the Reglan.

My hubby tried to feed her 1/2 of a bottle, but she fussed and about sucked her hand off, so he gave her the rest of it. Although, i think she is also going through a growth spurt too...sometimes she doesn't drink it all, so that makes me feel better. I just want to be able to give her enough milk for the next day without diminishing the supply. Peanut is still a little small for her age, but she is catching up, i think. I think they will want to start her on cereal soon...too. What are your thoughts on cereal at around 4-5 months?

I have started doing oatmeal too this week, I read that is a natural galactogoue. Any other suggestions and if anyone knows a safe length to use Reglan would be great! Thanks for all your support! It gets hard sometimes, when people kept telling me to give up, etc. I'm glad I didn't. This is truly the best for my Peanut!

Sounds like you are doing a great job working on this! Keep it up!

Here's a link to help you get through the abbreviations.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

As far as I have read, if they are underweight they tend to consume more to catch up. I think something similar as far as consumption happen with our LO. At 7 wks he was drinking 3, 4, or 5 ounces in one session but now he is back down to 3 ounces and he's weight seems to be appropriate. I have also been told by LCs that they tend to drink whatever you give them in a bottle. I was nursing him and then finishing him off with a bottle. It seemed like he was even getting anything bec he could drink upto to 4 ounces (after nursing a session with a transfer of 1 ounce).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hannahmommy View Post
    I think they will want to start her on cereal soon...too. What are your thoughts on cereal at around 4-5 months?
    LLL recommends starting solids when your baby shows signs of readiness, usually around the middle of the first year: signs of readiness for solids

During the first year, your milk is the primary source of nutrition for your baby. It is a complete food (that is, it has protein, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, everything in one food!) and no solid you offer is as good a food as your milk. LLL has these suggestions for first foods: first foods
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Thank you for the encouragement and support everyone! Peanut is 4 months old today! My LO (see that, using the abbreviations!) is growing up so fast! She is eating more now, as well...a lot of times 6 oz bottles during the day, and less at night, which I read is common. I think that is one reason why my milk supply is low, because she is not eating very much from me when she does get to nurse from me. I'm going to continue with the Reglan and herbal supplements for as long as I can, at least up to a year, if I can. I may have to go back to doing some of her bottles during the day 1/2 formula 1/2 breastmilk though, since she is eating so much. I think she is ready to start on some solids, because mom said that at times she is still wanting to suck more and attacks her stuffed animal toys right after feeding, like she wants to nurse more.

I haven't been told how long I can stay on the Reglan, is the only thing. I am a little nervous for this. I think we'll start introducing foods to her soon, too, I am going to check the links that you all provided above as well!

Thank you again for all your help, if anyone knows of anyone using Reglan please post how much and how long they are taking it for!

Thank you again, you all are most wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post

One suggestion was to ask the grandmother (who was caring for the baby, just as in your case ), to offer fewer ounces at a time. Just because there are five ounces sitting in the refrigerator does not mean she should put all five into the bottle. She can try maybe 1.5 or 2 ounces, burp the baby and see how he's doing. Then, if the baby still seems hungry, she offer another ounce or two. With a bottle, the milk can flow so easily and the grandmother wants to cuddle and feed her grandchild so much, that it is possible to overfeed a bit. Just a thought...
    This was happening to us, and 1 to 1 1/2 oz was getting wasted at each feeding, which is heart-stopping when your pumping for every drop possible!!! Our LO is 5 1/2 months and he is down to 4 to 4 1/2 at each feeding now....Good Luck

New Mommy to Michael 4-5-08
    and and new to the world of

I will try to see if mom will cut her back, i know that when i am on the phone and she pulls the bottle away, Peanut will fuss and not burp until the milk comes back! I'll try it though and see!

Thank you ladies!!

We've tried to cut her back, but most of the times she is fussing for the rest, even with trying to burp her, walk her around, change her diaper, etc. She is still wanting the rest. at times, she'll drink about 4-5 and then will play for an hour - two hours, then she'll want another 1-2 ounces before she sleeps. so, i don't know what to do. i'm just praying for more milk to come in!! i did get my reglan extended a few months, so i am happy about that! at least i can nurse my peanut for a few more months!