Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rebuilding Supply

Question Rebuilding Supply

I have been trying to rebuild my supply for my 3 month old and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. We never were completely nursed. There were points were he was getting breastmilk and nursing only. But now I have been reduced to no more than 1/2 ounce in one day. He used to drink 3 ounces every 3 hrs; but got gassy in betwen and we are having a hard time getting him to drink 3 ounces in one session. If he doesnt drink the whole amount he will get hungry and eat again within 1 1/2 hr. This is what I have planned/been thinking of doing to get him exclusively bfed:

1. I have been taking 2 capsules 3 times a day of fenugreek for the past 10 days. But I wasnt active in pumping or nursing. Should I bump up by one more pill each time? Before when I used it to bump up the supply I started with one pill and than moved to 2 and I helped and I smelled like maple syrup. This time have an increase or smell so I'm not sure if its because i wasnt doing much or I need to add one more pill.

2. Today I pumped a total of 5 times for 20-30 minutes sessions without nursing. He doesnt like to nurse since there is barely anything in there now. So I thought by pumping i could bump up the supply a bit and than try getting him to nurse a bit after supplementing. I'm trying to get upto 10 pumping sessions. Should I still try to nurse even though he doesnt really like it? Or should I just try doing skin to skin while I fed him formula?

3. I'm going to start skin to skin at night to see if that will help build up the supply.

4. Starting from tomorrow, I'm going to try to increase my drinking water intake to 2 Liters a day (at least)

Is there anything else that I should be doing?

Default Re: Rebuilding Supply

Do you have a hospital grade pump? That will really help and is essential. The PIS will not cut it. A Medela hospital grade (Lactina, Classic, Symphony) is the best. Also Hollister has some good pumps.

You are on the right track. I am in the same boat as you and some others here. Let keep encouraging each other!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

I would also suggest taking more milk plus, brewers yeast and eating oatmeal daily.

I think supplementing him and then trying to get him to nurse is a good idea. I would try to get him to comfort nurse and try to nurse when he is sleepy. That really works for me.

Good luck and keep us posted. I am routing for you

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babyys View Post
    I have been trying to rebuild my supply for my 3 month old and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. We never were completely nursed. There were points were he was getting breastmilk and nursing only. But now I have been reduced to no more than 1/2 ounce in one day. He used to drink 3 ounces every 3 hrs; but got gassy in betwen and we are having a hard time getting him to drink 3 ounces in one session. If he doesnt drink the whole amount he will get hungry and eat again within 1 1/2 hr. This is what I have planned/been thinking of doing to get him exclusively bfed:

1. I have been taking 2 capsules 3 times a day of fenugreek for the past 10 days. But I wasnt active in pumping or nursing. Should I bump up by one more pill each time? Before when I used it to bump up the supply I started with one pill and than moved to 2 and I helped and I smelled like maple syrup. This time have an increase or smell so I'm not sure if its because i wasnt doing much or I need to add one more pill.

2. Today I pumped a total of 5 times for 20-30 minutes sessions without nursing. He doesnt like to nurse since there is barely anything in there now. So I thought by pumping i could bump up the supply a bit and than try getting him to nurse a bit after supplementing. I'm trying to get upto 10 pumping sessions. Should I still try to nurse even though he doesnt really like it? Or should I just try doing skin to skin while I fed him formula?

3. I'm going to start skin to skin at night to see if that will help build up the supply.

4. Starting from tomorrow, I'm going to try to increase my drinking water intake to 2 Liters a day (at least)

Is there anything else that I should be doing?

The lowmilksupply.org website has good info about increasing your supply and getting your baby back on the breast: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/

I encourage you to especially look at the part about the "Finish at the Breast" method of supplementation and the section on galactogogues.

You mentioned wanting to increase your water intake. LLL recommends that you drink when you are thirsty. There is research showing that drinking too much water can have a negative effect of milk supply. (I just spent some time looking for a resource for that info and cannot put my hands on it. Sorry!)
    Marianne
    LLL Leader