Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain with OS/OALD?

Default Pain with OS/OALD?

I have been having throbbing pain in my right breast. I comes soon after I nurse and throughout the day as well. I have OS/OALD and it the worst in that breast. I really don't think its mastitis, because I have no other symptoms. Has anyone experienced this or heard of pain like this with OS/OALD?

Default Re: Pain with OS/OALD?

I have experienced the same pain after nursing too. I started block feeding 3 days ago to help with the OS and the pain gradually started to go away - I have only felt it once or twice today and it's not that bad. Good Luck!

I have been block feeding for about 2-3 weeks now and the pain seems to have gotten worse with the block feeding, but I don't want to stop block feeding b/c it has really helped with the OS/OALD and its issues? Could it be mastitis?

could it be a clogged duct? is there any red spots or red streaks on your breasts?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

No, I have no spots or streaks. I have looked up syptoms for most of the comon causes of pain and I just can't find anything. It is just a throbbing pain, no lumps or hard spots and its not engorgement. It happens throughout the day, but is prominent after I nurse on that side.

When I had mastitis, I had symptoms exactly like those of the flu and a temperature in addition to the redness. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stuartjr View Post
    No, I have no spots or streaks. I have looked up syptoms for most of the comon causes of pain and I just can't find anything. It is just a throbbing pain, no lumps or hard spots and its not engorgement. It happens throughout the day, but is prominent after I nurse on that side.
    are you wearing a bra? because sometimes a bra that doesn't fit well can cause a pain deep in the breast. If you can, try to go braless - at least for part of the day.

I would continue to feel for any lumps. Sometimes a plugged duct can shift and a lump is not always able to be found. The pain really sounds like a plugged duct. Oversupply/OALD not cause pain immediately after a nursing session - although each person is different.

Have you tried various nursing positions? Sometimes by using various positions and different angles your baby can more effectively empty your breast. It could be something as simply as some of the milk ducts aren't being emptied properly - not actually causing a plug, but causing the hindmilk to stick to the sides of the duct and begin to build up.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

hmm. all good things to consider. I do wear a bra most of the time, and I will try going braless and I usually do nurse in the same position, so I will try something different. Thanks for all of your suggestions, I just hope it goes away soon.

just an update. I have gotten my OS/OALD under control and the pain is gone!! It seems like everything finally "clicked". Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stuartjr View Post
    just an update. I have gotten my OS/OALD under control and the pain is gone!! It seems like everything finally "clicked". Thanks for all of your suggestions.
    Thanks for the update! I am delighted that your problems are gone.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader