Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated

Default Frustrated

I'm just wondering if its normal for a LO to pop on and off the breast many times during a feeding session? My LO will latch for a while, usually 5 minutes or so and then pop off and sometimes happily root around and latch/unlatch for a while before finally starting to nurse again. Other times she will pop off and act frustrated or in pain. The behavior is different on each breast, she seems to favor the left but still pops on and off. I had a LC evaluate us and she said that it looks like the LO has a shallow latch and that may be causing the problem. Her suggestion was to unlatch her and then try to re-latch correctly, which is frustrating because she will just pop off again or move back to a shallower latch. She is 7 weeks old and has been doing this for 3+ weeks now. I had a problem with OALD/OS (I think) but have it under control for the most part via block feeding and only pumping when she misses a nursing session.
    Am I just a nervous nelly or what? Could it be that she has reflux or something that is making her uncomfortable? Sometimes I think she has gas or needs to burp and I burp her which seems to help with her being uncomfortable but does not stop the latching/unlatching.
    Sorry this is long!

Default Re: Frustrated

I had similar issues with my DS when he was about that age (he's now 14 wks). Agree that it can be very frustrating!! Especially in the wee hours of the morning. He eventually outgrew it by around 10 wks and began to BF more consistently and w/o popping on/off. Seems like it was just a phase. Sorry I can't give you a solution or suggestion, but know that you are not alone in this!

This is really frustrating for you! It is pretty normal though, so most likely it's not anything seriously wrong.
    Have you guys tried different positions? Maybe try supporting your breast a different way?
    Does this seem to be better/worse at certain times of the day? There could be something there. This behavior is especially common in the evenings.

Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

The behavior is bad at the last feeding of the day around 9 pm or so (with crying and frustration), and I've noticed that she also cries and acts frustrated at the first feeding that she's fully awake for, usually between 7:30-9 am depending on how the night went. At each of those feedings its been about 6 hours since that breast was emptied, although that is pretty normal for us during the day too. During the time that I had the issues with OALD/OS it would happen at almost every feeding but that has calmed down somewhat.

Sorry - I have tried different positions, compressing the breast or lifting the breast, compressing the areola, etc all which don't stop her. Sometimes I will just give up for a while and try to soothe her then attempt to feed again. That helps once in a while but not always.

I got ya, well it does seem that the OALD/OS is probably to blame. You may have already tried this but have you tried expressing a little into a cloth before you nurse her or after you start to feel the let down take her off and let it spray into a cloth?

You've tried laying down with her on top of you, or having her sort of propped up facing you? Those are sometimes tough to do with such a little one, but worth a shot.

As she gets older, she won't have such a hard time with it. So it does get better!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Abby first off ;

Sounds to me that your baby has colic. We had some of the same issues and i spoke to the pedi and he said that if it is getting worse at night time it maybe colic. You can try some drops for it or i even have a home remedy that seems to work for us.

Jessica - I have tried every position imaginable (helps sometimes but can be very hard to do correctly!) and have tried to take her off, but my milk doesn't always spray or even drizzle while she's acting up. One suggestion I got from the LC was to pump a little before I put her on but won't that just make the problem worse in the long run by causing more production? And can I use the milk I pump off or will it make her gassy and not fill her up because its foremilk? I thought I would use it to top off any bottles of EBM that weren't full enough for a feeding.

babyys - I thought her behavior was colic-like, but she doesn't have the diagnosis because its not the 3 hours/day for 3+ days/week. I would love to hear about the home remedy!

When I read your original post and the following one I immediately thought OALD but then you also mentioned that it's almost as if she needs to burp and is uncomfortable and the time of day, could it be gas? What is she doing wwith her back and legs when she is popping off and on?
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

this is a helpful link

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

have you talked to your local leader?
    she might be able to help you figure out what's going on beter then we can online!