Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thank goodness for nursing toddlers

Default Thank goodness for nursing toddlers

I am feeling pretty weepy and rather pathetic this morning so I hope I don't sound too whiney.

I am a teacher and obviously the school year has started.

I do teach from home, which is wonderful most of the time and I know how fortunate I am to have this job, but September and October are the WORST.

Yesterday I put in a 10 hour day of literally staring at a computer screen and non stop talking on the phone. My mother in law is nannying for me this year so she was with my 2, 5 and 6 year old kids. The older two go to school from home too so she is the one to do their assignments with them when I am working. I then drove all three of my kids to my oldest son's flag football practice, handed them off to my husband and had to come straight back home to teach a parent orientation class.

My husband went to his parents house after the practice and did not come home with the kids until 9 pm.

By that time I had put in a 12 hour day, had not seen my kids at all, was completely exhausted and broken hearted at having not spent ANY time with them all day and was probably not all that cordial towards my dh. It's not always that bad but yesterday was just a DAY.

I stumbled up the stairs with my daughter, got her ready for bed, sat down in the rocking chair and promptly fell asleep while she nursed. She woke me up a while later to ask for the other side. I managed to stay awake while she finished nursing and forced myself to focus on her for a few minutes.

I am so thankful that she is stil nursing. She is 2.5 years old and shows no signs of wanting to wean. Nursing her before bed and before her naps forces me to stop moving, sit down and just focus on her for a few minutes.

This morning when she started fussing around at 6 am I pulled her into bed with me and let her nurse herself back to sleep. I know there are those who would say that is a bad habit to get into but if it allows me a few extra minutes with her I have NO problem with it.

I need to figure out what I can do to have that connecting time with my boys each day as well.

Today I am just thankful for nursing and the bonding time it provides for us and for our children.

I am sure I will be less emotional when things at work start to settle down around mid October, but I am hoping and praying that I can hold it together in the meantime.

Thanks for "listenting." I just needed to get that out before another day gets into full swing. Hope you all have a great day!
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

Default Re: Thank goodness for nursing toddlers

Well from someone who exclusively nurses her 15 mo to sleep... I am a big believer that you need to do what is best for you. I love napping with my little one, it is a great way to relax and cuddle.

Here's to your situation lightening up a bit as the year goes on.

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I struggle with that too but if it works for you and baby, and its not a problem for you- even sounds like a joy- than who cares what others think? My son is 20 mos and all night nursing and nurse to sleep and yeah, i'm tired and wish he'd sleep better but i go day by day and if I can hang in there like this one more day- i do it.

That sounds like a day!

So glad you were able to enjoy some of those precious moments with your daughter! I am sure you will find a way to do so with your sons! And don't beat yourself up too much! We all have those crazy periods where there just isn't enough hours in the day! Chin up!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Thank you so much for being so tolerant of my complaining. I am so very fortunate to work from home and I know I really should not complain.

Thank goodness this week is over. By mid Oct things should get better. Until then I just need to figure out balance. This is the first year that I am schooling both boys from home and I guess it is just a lot to juggle.

What I really need to do is figure out how to get some sort of healthy dinner on the table without spending an hour and a half cooking every night. That alone would lower my stress level.

Thanks again!
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

What I really need to do is figure out how to get some sort of healthy dinner on the table without spending an hour and a half cooking every night. That alone would lower my stress level.

Thanks again![/QUOTE]

I personally recommend crock pot meals or things you can throw in the oven quickly & forget until they're done- like baked chicken (we like drumsticks)with roasted veggies-(rub both w/ a little olive oil & seasoning & throw into oven for about 45 min's) great for leftovers too!
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

awww i hope we can nurse that long. i loveeee the bonding too! going strong at 8 months now, no stop in sight =)

much love to you mama!!

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*