Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long do clogged ducts last???

Default How long do clogged ducts last???

I have looked every where on the web and cannot find out how long a clogged duct will last. I woke up engorged last Friday (because my 10 1/2 week old son slept through the night) and noticed a lump. I've had these before when engorged and thought it would go away after he fed but it hasn't. I have been putting heat on it and massaging but nothing seems to change. How do I get rid of this thing and how long will it take? Also... will this cause pain when he's feeding or is that simply from a poor latch? Oh... and how do I know this is a clogged duct vs. another kind of lump in my breast?

Default Re: How long do clogged ducts last???

I don't think there's a specific answer to your question. Sometimes clogged ducts last for a few hours, sometimes they last for days, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't last for weeks.

Are you having nipple pain along with the clogged duct? If so, you might want to check out this info on milk blebs/blisters. Milk blisters can be really painful, and I always got a plugged duct when I had one.

Self-care for a clogged duct:
    - Heat. I always liked a hot wet washcloth, but I think a hot water bottle or heating pad would also be nice.
    - Soak. Warm bath or basin of warm water.
    - Massage.
    - Assess your bras. If you've been wearing an underwire (which can cause clogged ducts), now may be a good time to switch to a soft-cup bra or go bra-less, at least for a while.
    - Vary your nursing position. Try to get the baby's chin pointing towards the clog, as babies generate the most suction in that direction. If that doesn't work, try the all-fours position, with baby lying on his back and the breast dangling into his mouth from above. Gravity may assist in drawing out the clog.
    - Start all feeds on the affected breast, as most babies suck most aggressively at the beginning of a feed.
    - Watch for signs of mastitis: redness, pain, flu-like symptoms. If any of that crops up, get yourself over to your midwife or doctor for antibiotics.

If the clogged duct persists beyond a month, I would go to the doc and get it checked out. But that's just me.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: How long do clogged ducts last???

I have nipple pain sporadically which makes me think it is probably a latch problem but still not sure. I have inspected my nipple repeatedly and do not see a milk blister. Thanks for the advice on treating the clogged duct. I've tried most of it but think I will give soaking a try next. I'm just stressed because I feel like I should get rid of this quickly and it seems like it could last forever. I really don't want to develop matitis.