Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trouble pumping my milk

Default Trouble pumping my milk

Dear all,
    I am trying to pump my milk to get used to the whole thing before going back to work. I have found difficulty getting my milk out. I am using the Pump in Style medela breast pump which is supposed to be a very good one. I tried it a couple of times with no success. The first time, i got very little milk out for more that 15 min of pumping. Then i tried it during the night when i felt my breasts are full and engorged. However this time, i didn't get any milk out.
    Is this related to how this pump works? or maybe the sucking technique of the pump is different from my baby's?
    Please help with this issue. I am returning to work very soon and I really need to be able to pump while at work to continue a successful breastfeeding experience with my baby girl.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Trouble pumping my milk

Just keep pumping and try doing it at regular intervals. I think some people's bodies just don't react well to it. It took a while for me to get anything, but now I can get up to 5 1/2 ounces sometimes. You may never get a tremendous amount, but it will improve. Also, increase the suction as much as possible.

who did you get your pump from?
    sometimes they are broken and don't work right new out of the box.
    or they might just not be put together right.
    can anybody show you how?
    you can call your local leader and she might be able to help with the pump.

I suggest definitely getting some one-on-one help by someone who can see what you are doing. I thought of two possible issues: you either aren't getting suction (your nipple should be visibly pulled into the flange) or you aren't letting down.
    Get some help, you can do it!! I had trouble at first too but now I am a pumping pro.

practice makes perfect! i had trouble with getting much milk when i first started pumping, too. i found that putting the pump (i have a medela PIS advanced) on the highest setting worked best for me. i used to pump about 1-1.5oz total, but now i can pump around 4-5oz total. i also found that when i was stressed out, i could barely get a let-down. so just relax and try again! good luck!