Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would I be wrong to start bf my 2 year old again?

Default Would I be wrong to start bf my 2 year old again?

HI there

I have a 3 month old daughter and she is bf. My 2 year old has tried many times to feed alongside her but I say no, you now have a bottle. My 2 year old has started showing signs of jealousy such as jumping around near dd's head and banging toys near her. He actually hit her over the head with his toy tractor while she was screaming. I am certain he was only trying to get her to stop crying as it rally upsets him.

I am a single mum so dont really get time on my own with my toddler so I was thinking maybe if I started bf him again he may feel better about our newest addition. The main reason Im not doing it is because of reaction from family and people outside of home. I know its the most natural thing to do but is it likely to cause more issues or problems? I dont know if I would feel comfortable bf him while we are out so would it confuse him if I just let him bf at home? Please help!

Thank you x

Default Re: Would I be wrong to start bf my 2 year old again?

I don't have any advise for you at all I am sorry all I can share is my Best friend had a very simuliar situation.. She had a newborn and a 20 month old and let him try to nurse again because he got jealous.. She told me that he tried and then was like ok thanks and walked away and didn't care anymore... So it maybe worth trying again if you feel it is right for you.. It is hard being a single Mom and finding that alone time with your kids..So maybe while you nurse your LO you can read to your older one a fav story while he sits down with you.. are maybe make a big deal out of him helping with dinner as her Big helper... Just a few things I could think of....
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

If you don't mind breastfeeding the toddler too and you think it would help I say sure go for it... it can't hurt anything.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

If I were in your shoes I would let him give it a try. I also have a friend who let a toddler try. He tried once, pretty much shrugged his shoulders, walked away and was never interested again, he just wanted his curiosity satisfied.

It cannot hurt to try.

And if he does like it and wants to keep going, I have to tell you I am laughing because I came here this morning to leave a post about how glad I am to still be nursing my 2.5 year old. She is busy, busy, busy and so am I. But that few moments of cuddle and relaxing time do a LOT for both of our stress levels.

Good luck!
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

I don't think it could hurt anything, since some mommas are still bfing their 2 year olds and I plan to. I too think that he may try it a few times and then decide he is a big boy and that nursing is for babies.

I also wanted to give you a it sounds like you need it.

nak

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

I let my 2yo at the time try when DS2 came along. He tried on and off again for a couple of months but couldn't remember how to latch on. I think he was just happy to know I was still willing to give him my milk. He did not seem to get jealous.
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165

No I dont think its wrong. I would definately try
    Mom to four - 2 of each
    DS#1 2/90
    DD#1 12/99
    DS#2 10/01
    DD#2 3/07

we love still

thanks for your support everyone. I guess the main thing I am worried about is that he goes to his dad on the weekend so he will be having a bottle then at bedtime. Also, I dont think I would feel totally comfortable bf him out in public (social pressure sucks)

so, all in all, I dont want him to get confused. Anyone else in a similar situation please let me know how it worked for you!

Thank you x

My ds self weaned around 18 months..I was also pregnant at the time. I had my dd and my ds started nursing again. He would really only want to "nurse" at night when my dd did. It wasn't very long that he wanted to nurse 3-4 months.
    So when he's at his dad's house can you put EBM in a sippy cup?

As far as out in public, can you tell him "when we get home"?

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

well, tonight was the night. My toddler had his bath and his little sis was feeding and he said mummy milk, so, I let him try and he did! He said 'no, baby'. Then he said, 'again' so he tried again and then said, 'no, baby'

So, there you have it. Hes not really interested but at least he now knows that himself and he knows mummy will still let him if he wants to!

Success xx