Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: runny/watery green poop for 4 weeks now

Default runny/watery green poop for 4 weeks now

My dd (3months old) has had runny/watery green poop for 4 weeks now. No other signs of illness, she is gaining weight and I have taken her to the GP a week aga who said not to worry. She is purely bf and went from having 2 bm's a day to about 10. When she poops its like a green watery explosion and soaks into the nappy. She has also had mucousy poops. Any advice would be much appreciated! She had her imms on 26th August and the watery poop did seem to get worse after that. Anyone else had the same?

Thank you

Default Re: runny/watery green poop for 4 weeks now

You might have an oversupply issue. Green watery poo is a common symptom of a baby who is getting only your fore milk and not your hind milk because of an oversupply. You might not even be able to tell you have too much milk . I had this issue w/ both my babies. I had a lactation consultant help me regulate my milk. Can you find one in your area? The "Too Much Milk" section of this forum was incredibly helpful for me also. There is a lot of good info. around about this. Please keep us posted and let us know what you need!

Hiya

I did have really OALD at the start but i tried to feed 3 times on one side and then swap. Although I am v tired at the mo so may be I am forgetting which side I last fed on. THere actually arent many seedy poops anymore either so maybe it is that. The poops arent frothy though like they were at the beginning. Its just like water and it soaks into the nappy. She doesnt seem unwell and has no other symptoms. I hope its not something serious that no-one has picked up on.

The beginning is such a worrying time due to tiredness isnt it! I though Id be a lot more relaxed with number 2, not the case. I guess its because I love them so much I cant stand the thought of anything being wrong!

Mucousy green poops are a sign of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance due to an oversupply of milk. Read this. It may answer some of your concerns.

How do you feed your LO? How often? How long are the feeding sessions?Some of these questions will help other mommas determine what could be the issue and provide you with corrective action.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Hiya

I purely bf on demand. At the moment she can go 2-3 hours and at night goes up to 6 hours some nights.

Mucous has only been present a couple of times. No foamy poops. Just watery dark green

lo feeds sometimes for 5 mins, sometimes half an hour. We have no set time scales or feeding times. Although atm she tends to feed at 7pm when I am reading stories to ds and then sleeps until I go to bed at midnight. I change her and feed her and usually, just as I am driftin off she will have a watery poop and then about another 2 or 3 in the space of an hour.

She will then poop during the night and then have another mammoth session in the morning, afternoon and evening! It jsut seems like I am constantly changing her. I have managed to keep her bottom from getting sore which is a bonus but we are getting through about 10 nappies a day.

I co sleep and she feeds whenever she wants in the night, usually latching on for at least 10 mins.

just to add, lo doesnt fuss at the breast. She had colic until about 3 weeks ago and has been settled since then. She seems happy when not feeding and I can lay her down to play for long periods during the day. She doesnt sleep much in the day though as we are so busy with groups. If you need to know anything else, just let me know. And thank you for your help x

I added this in your other thread, and thought I would post it here as well

These links may be useful: The colour of the day & baby poop 101
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Hiya

Thank you very much. Just looked at the colour of the day link which says:

Frequent Watery Stool often "Greener" than usual
    How can you spot diarrhea in a baby who has loose frequent stools every day? This type of poop is "diarrhea" in a breastfed baby. It can be due to a virus, a bowel infection, stress, anxiety or a food intolerance.

So, maybe this warrants another visit to the GP to have an analysis!

My son had green poop (all different shades from dark pine green to bright neon green) and also mucous. In his case, it turned out to be an intolerance to milk protein in the dairy I was consuming. When he was about 2 months old, I switched to a totally dairy free diet, and his poop gradually returned to the normal colour. However, that was just my experience. There are other reasons a baby can have green stools, such as oversupply, as PP mentioned. Have you spoken to your baby's doctor? She/he may have some other suggestions, and can probably reassure you. Good luck.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Hi,

I think were in the same boat. I also have a 3 mo with green diapers. Here it's been going on for the last 14 days. Also, my little girl is filling her diapers at least 8-10 times a day. It used to be every other day.

I wondered if you'd like to share thoughts and results as we battle this diaper-changing marathon?

/Ministar