Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green BM for 14 days

Default Green BM for 14 days

My little girl is 3 months and has had green, frothy diaper output w. many curdles for 14 days now. Also, she used to go every other day, but now it's more like 6-7 times a day.

I're read about OALD and oversupply, but it doesn't seem to apply to us. She has no problem latching, doesn't seem to be disturbed when feeding and I hardly every leak.

She is 100 % breastfed and shows no (other) signs of illness. But I am disturbed, as the poo simply looks undigested to me, and I am not sure if my little one is getting all the good stuff from my milk.

Poo test for bacteria came back negative... My doctor has suggested getting rid of milk in my diet (on 3rd day w. no change in baby's BM color/frequency. I've given block-feeding a go... but it doesn't seem to make any difference.) or simply switching to formula.

I really don't want to give up BF, as it has worked so well for us. Anybody had any similar experiences?

All thoughts and advices are highly appreciated.

/Ministaren

Default Re: Green BM for 14 days

it could be a dairy sensitivity or allergy. I'll be back with a link

ETA: Can't seem to find the link I'm looking for, but I'm sure another mama will come by soon with more help

what I do know about diary allergies through breastmilk is:
    - cow's milk proteins can take longer than 14 days to leave your breastmilk so eliminating dairy for at least 2 weeks is necessary to see if the problem clears up.
    - other signs of dairy allergies or sensitivities are fussiness, gassiness and crying after a feeding. Some people have all kinds of symptoms, others just have one.
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; September 9th, 2008 at 04:17 PM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I hope someone with more info comes along soon to help you, but in the meantime, I'll share my experience with you:

At two-three months, my son had green poop (varied from bright to dark green) sometimes with mucous, sometimes even with bright red blood from a tear near his rectum. It turned out to be intolerance to foods in my diet and I had to cut out all dairy and soy for a month before his stools looked normal again. I started slowly reintroducing them into my diet at around 9 months. As the PP mentioned, it usually takes 2 weeks or more before the dairy is out of mother's and baby's system and the bowels and intestines start functioning normally again. It works better if you are really thorough about eliminating all dairy. Info about dairy sensitivity in breastfed infants: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ity.html#dairy
    List of foods to avoid: http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...en-dairy01.pdf

I had the conversation about switching to formula with my pediatrician. This is what he said: It is almost impossible (maybe completely impossible) for a baby to be allergic to its own mother's breastmilk. If it's an allergy, it's a reaction to something in the breastmilk, meaning in the mother's diet. If you have a sensitive (allergic) baby, switching to formula is more likely to aggravate the problem than help. Breastmilk is the best food for your LO. I remember crying my heart out at the thought that my milk was making my baby sick. It wasn't my milk, it was the stuff IN my milk!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Thank you. I'll eliminate dairy for 4 weeks to see if it helps.

I'm having the same occurance and that is why I came today. My baby is having really green BM's. He doesn't seem to be feeling bad but I didn't know if it was a concern since it was green. The texture seems normal, maybe alittle on the runny side. After reading the above I will eliminate dairy for a while. Oh and he is just two weeks past 3 months.

I would talk to your doctor before you make any changes. I wanted to share my experience to provide more info for the orig poster to think about, but there are other reasons a baby might have green stools. My ped said dairy intolerance is pretty unusual and green stools are more commonly caused by oversupply (not enough hind milk) or a bacterial infection. Even normal baby stools can be quite a range of different colours. Hope baby feels better soon!
    Emma

Purple monkey, thx for picking up the thread again.

Actually, I just got back from the doc, as baby's temp. started rising yesterday morning. My doc told me to hold the horses regarding a elimination diet. She told me that my little one was probably too young to be having a reaction to my dairy intake, and the fever suggested virus.

Also, after learning about our bf pattern, she suggested only bf'ing her every 3rd hour to give her bowels some r&r. (Here, in Denmark, oversupply/OALD is not really recognized by doctors, and so I guess they only think in overfeeding).

Hope baby's fever is better? Also, I hope feeding less (or less foremilk) does the trick because elimination is no fun!

FWIW, my ped told me dairy intolerance commonly shows as green stools between 2 and 3 months.
    Emma

I don't get this. As of this morning, the BM was completely different. For 14 days, it used to be dark green and very watery. Today it has been thick and very bright green w. clear strings of mucus (sorry, y'all!).

We have now gone from pesto to guacamole.

What's the deal?

So is it correct that your dr suggested only nursing every three hours on a schedule? Strict schedules really aren't recommended for bf babies. Have you been following this recommendation? If so, the lower level of fluids your lo might be getting might be what would cause the stools to be thicker.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.