Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we need cow's milk?

Default Do we need cow's milk?

Hello! I was wondering if you knowledgable moms could help me with a question. My daughter just turned 1 and I'm currently nursing her 3 times a day. She eats 3 meals plus a snack or 2. I'm wondering if I need to introduce cow's milk at this point. As we gradually wean, at what point does the milk become needed? (2 nursings/day?, 1/day?) She eats organic whole milk yogurt and a little organic cheese, but I don't give her very much cheese due to some mild constipation issues.
    Also, I want to make sure she gets enough fat in her diet. Right now she eats a lot of avocado, which is rich in fat. Her only other main source is the yogurt, which she hasn't really wanted lately. The meats I give her are rather low-fat (chicken, turkey, some fish). And although she loves cheese, like I said - we have some constipation issues so she doesn't get much of that. She does not like beans, though I've only offered them a couple times.
    Any advice you can give is very much appreciated! I haven't found any info out there since most sources assume the baby is weaned by 12 months. Thank you so so much!

Default Re: Do we need cow's milk?

My dd is 13 months and has never had cow's milk. There is no NEED for it unless you are a calf, which I'm assuming your LO is not!

It's a great one stop source for vitamins and calcium, but those things are readily available in other food sources. And it can cause problems with people.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

My dd just turned one too and she has not had cow's milk. With my ds I didn't know any better and I was quick to give him cow's milk soon after he turned one.

with the link from andreafromohio.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    Thanks for the link - that's a very helpful article!

I think the rule of thumb is as long as your lo is nursing 3-4 times a day there is no need for alternate "milk" And you don't have to have milk.. just need to make sure they are getting enough calcium, fat and protein if you aren't doing milk. My 15 m old doesnt eat dairy... we are in the process of finding out if she is intolerate or not... she nurses 4-6 times day though. For fat besides cheese and yogurt add a bit of olive oil or butter to her veggies, pasta, rice, toast etc and of course avacados are good sources of fat. My dc recommends flax seed oil as a good source of fat and omegas for babies.. .it helps them poop too! I mix it with applesauce.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

My daughter is allergic to cow's milk. She's 20mos and still breastfeeding. I'm trying to expand her diet so that she can get the nutrients she needs from other foods since she can't have dairy, and won't be able to tolerate it anytime soon. If cheese is already causing your lo constipation issues, I wouldn't add anymore milk to her diet. You could try Hemp milk... if she tolerates it, it's a good source of fats and nutrients. Much more so that rice milk or soy. Hope this helps!
    AnneMarie
    Mom to Liana Hope
    Born 12/25/06 at 31 weeks, weighing only 2 pounds!
    Now she weighs 26 pounds
    and is the best!
    Food allergies are the pits

Thank you everyone. I have another, unrelated question. Ever since my daughter was about 3-4 months old, she has pinched, scratched, and squeezed my skin while nursing. Of course I understand that she does not know this hurts me, but I kept thinking she would grow out of it. Well, she's 12 months old now and still doing it. I tried giving her something to hold, but the "bottom" hand that I can't even reach with the boppy in the way, grabs away at my belly and back. I also put socks on her hands sometimes when it's really bugging me, but this is a pain and I want her to be able to touch me. Is this something some babies just do and Mom has to put up with? Has anyone successfully gotten their baby to stop? I saw on another forum someone suggested to say "no pinch" every time they did it, and put them down without nursing them for 10 minutes. This seems crazy to me. I work part time and have very finite times to nurse her and can't imagine how long it would take to nurse her if I did that. Plus, it just seems cruel. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pt4kdz View Post
    Thank you everyone. I have another, unrelated question. Ever since my daughter was about 3-4 months old, she has pinched, scratched, and squeezed my skin while nursing. Of course I understand that she does not know this hurts me, but I kept thinking she would grow out of it. Well, she's 12 months old now and still doing it. I tried giving her something to hold, but the "bottom" hand that I can't even reach with the boppy in the way, grabs away at my belly and back. I also put socks on her hands sometimes when it's really bugging me, but this is a pain and I want her to be able to touch me. Is this something some babies just do and Mom has to put up with? Has anyone successfully gotten their baby to stop? I saw on another forum someone suggested to say "no pinch" every time they did it, and put them down without nursing them for 10 minutes. This seems crazy to me. I work part time and have very finite times to nurse her and can't imagine how long it would take to nurse her if I did that. Plus, it just seems cruel. Any suggestions?
    How about a nursing necklace to keep her hands busy?
    I think laughing starfish is cute! http://www.laughingstarfish.com/

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

I think they all do this. Sometimes (as in, when I think of it beforehand) I left my DS hold a toy and that keeps his hands busy. The nursing necklaces look great, although I've never tried it myself. I routinely tell him "no pinching', "be gentle" etc. to try to help him understand, but honestly distraction seems like the most effective thing... and I keep in mind that it's totally normal.

And in regards to your original post, we don't drink cow's milk (ages 1,6,9 and 34 respectively) and we're a healthy bunch My older kids get an occasional chocolate milk as a treat at a restaurant or whatever, but that's it for us. We do eat some dairy, but personally I find the concept of weaning from human milk to another animal's milk weird and unnatural (no offense to all you moo juice lovers!).