Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If someone is to stop pumping...

Default If someone is to stop pumping...

What if you was to stop pumping, what do you do if you want to stop gradually? and not stop all of a sudden and get engorged.

Say if I pumped every 3 hours. How many hours would I go without pumping. When I do pump after # hours do I empty my breast completely or just take a oz out of each breast? (I normally got out 2 oz out of each breast) so it doesnt empty totally.

Default Re: If someone is to stop pumping...

There are no hard and fast rules about stopping the pumping process. You have to read your body, not rely on the clock. If you're pumping every 3 hours, you can try stretching it to 4 hours. If you're not in severe discomfort or engorged at 4 hours, you can try stretching it to 5 hours, and so on. Keeping the pumping sessions spaced to 3 hours yet removing less milk each time will have the same result. The more you put up with the discomfort, and the less milk you remove each time you pump, the faster your supply will decrease.

Mama, I know you've been struggling- is this really what you want to do? It's a lot easier to maintain a supply, even a small one, than to relactate from scratch. If you're considering just quitting, pumping just a few times a day might be the middle path. If you maintain a small supply and feed your baby a combination of breastmilk and formula, your baby will still get health benefits from your milk, and you will still get health benefits from continuing to make milk.

So if i was was to pup ever...say... 5/6 hours for a couple of feeds of my breast milk but the rest formula my milk will carry on and i'll still be able to give him a couple of feeds a day

the thing is..Whenever he drinks my milk he tenses, stresses, cries and be's sick and he is comfortable with formula n settles well, tbh I just want to stop it all and just put him on formula. Yeah breaskmilk is good for now and future but iv'e seen babies that are just fine now and after after having formula so I dont think I should stress myself out all the time and stress him out all the time, its not fair on him.

Yes, you should be able to maintain some sort of small supply even with widely spaced pumps. If your supply dips lower than you want it to be, just add in pumping sessions until you get it back.

Mama, I understand your desire to let this go when it all seems so stressful. But stress can be good for you- it can make you a stronger person. Right? And breastfeeding is definitely good for your health and it's good for your baby's health, no matter how he may act when given a bottle of breastmilk. If he's been getting a lot of formula, he may have grown to prefer the taste of formula, and that could explain his behavior with the breastmilk bottles. It's very unlikely that there's anything in your milk that is hurting him!

It can be very stressful doing all that work and pumping for your child, especially when they are fussy. I eliminated almost everything from my diet (I ate only pears, turkey, brown rice and potatoes for 2 weeks) and my daughter remained fussy. She is still very sensitive at 2.5 yrs, it's personality, not diet (for her, not discounting true food intolerances). I would just say please be careful making a big decision like this when you're discouraged or stressed.

I am one mom who is glad I toughed it out even though my world revolved around feeding my daughter the first year. It has made a huge difference in our relationship, she has great health, and I know I did everything I could (she still nurses now). Anyway, please hang in there, and see if taking things one day at a time makes it seem a little manageable if you have even the smallest doubt about quitting pumping. Take care.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

As the mom of many kids, fed a variety of ways, I will tell you this....babies are fussy. Some more than others. It is not you or your milk causing this. Two of my babies cried all the time. One never cried. Another had his cranky moments. But the two who cried....they howled. It was terrible for about 5 months.

The reason your baby conks out after a bottle is two-fold:
    1. Formula is hard to digest, like a big Christmas dinner
    2. Bottles usually let baby get too much milk very quickly, thus contributing to feeling really full and knocking baby out.

That is why baby seems calmer...he's sleepy because he's super full and trying to digest something that is fourth best. Best is milk directly from mom. Second best is mother's expressed milk. Third is donor milk. Last is formula. For many reasons.

I KNOW how hard it is to EP. I have four kids. The baby I am pumping for is special needs. He has reflux too. It was incredibly difficult to make the time and to just deal with it all.

I know people say, "my baby had formula and he's fine," but .... There is the question of biological potential, and it is unknown how far from that potential a FF baby is.

I'm grateful to have continued. Most EPing mothers want to quit at 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months and 9 months. I have had days just about once a month where I want to quit. Totally normal. But then I look at a baby who has been incredibly healthy despite some fairly significant problems -- and crankiness too -- and I'm glad I stayed with it.

If you choose to stop, you pump less at all sessions, and you will eventually dry up. You can maintain some sessions if you wish by completely emptying your breasts at your selected sessions. But I suspect your baby is young enough that just pumping twice a day, for example, will not be enough and you will dry up for the most part.

Bear in mind that your fertility will very likely return when you do this, so be prepared.

Good luck.

I did recently read some good advice along the lines of "don't make a drastic decision for a temporary emotion."
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you for all the advice.
    I pump every 3 hours normally now it's been 4 hours and my boobs are going to explode. Shall I take some out, how much?
    and how long after do I pump again it's killing now

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to cut back, you don't take much out and you go longer between sessions....and it is uncomfortable. Otherwise....go pump!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!