Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mom wants to pump but to no avail!

Default mom wants to pump but to no avail!

Hi there- I'm sure that this has been asked about before but I am new to this forum and am trying really hard to stay positive. I have a 6 week old DD that I nurse whenever she wants or roughly about every 2 hours. Sometimes sher takes only one side, other times, it's both. I nursed my ODD and pumped 4xs a day when I returned to work with no major issues. I would like a break every now and then so I have begun to pump this time around. My problem is that I am unable to get more than an once or so when I pump- sometimes that is for a whole day of multiple attempts. I own a Medela PIS and also a Harmony. I have tried pumping after every feeding, drinking special tea, relaxation techniques,pretty much the whole gamut. I know that my DD is getting enough from "the tap" as she is content, gaining appropriately, has enough wet and dirty diapers- is it possible that this time around I am just unable to pump? I have been at this now for about 2 weeks and have seen no improvement. I am aware that there is a learning curve, I just really thought that at this point I would have more to show for it! Any information would be really helpful, like I said I am just trying to stay positive- even though I know baby is fine, you can't help but begin to question yourself, you know? TIA!

Default Re: mom wants to pump but to no avail!

well maybe if she is feeding enough you dont need to be pumping a whole lot b/c then you will have an over supply. since you started pumping, while you are away you will be pumping instead of her nursing and you should get the right amount. i started pumping early for this one and i already have a freezer full of milk and hes only 8 weeks old, so i wouldnt worry too much that youre not getting alot now. last baby i was concerned that i might not be making enough milk so i started pumping ever hour to get more stimulation and then again i started making too much and had both our freezers packed with so much milk that i had to throw a ton away when she weaned.

Question Re: mom wants to pump but to no avail!

I'm so envious you have such great production...I have a question. My baby is now 3 weeks old and I have been pumping every 2.5 hours at 20 minutes per session with a medela symphony and I am still only getting 4oz total per session. When do you start seeing a noticeable increase in production. As is now my LO is taking 3 oz per feeding which means by the end of the day I only managed to catch up with one extra bottle. I am in constant fear for a growth spurt or for a dry run during a session. I feel like I'm stressing and that the supply will increase in time and I am just expecting too much too soon, but I can't help but to be constantly watching the slow drips. When did you notice an increase in supply and did it come gradually or was there a week milestone I can shoot for. Thanks

at first i didnt get very much either. my son was in the NICU for 2 days when he was born and i could pump nothing and hes my 3rd so i was used to pumping a lot ... they told me it takes time #1 for your milk to come in but the frequent nursing will bump up your supply. your body knows how much to make by how much they eat, so if you think youre going to run low then i would pump every 2 hours or even pumping every 1.5 hours, you might not get as much but it should up your supply. i actually had a medela hospital grade pump that i tried using but i ended up buying the avent pump b/c i couldnt get as much milk with the hospital grade pump that i used to get with a manual avent so i went and bought the iq duo and it works great for me. i also tried medela PIS and didnt get as much milk. diff pumps work diff for diff people so that could be soemthing too but i dont think its a problem if hes only 3 weeks and youre getting 4 oz. your body has to get used to the pump also, it doesnt stimulate like your baby would.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*goodpro View Post
    I'm so envious you have such great production...I have a question. My baby is now 3 weeks old and I have been pumping every 2.5 hours at 20 minutes per session with a medela symphony and I am still only getting 4oz total per session. When do you start seeing a noticeable increase in production. As is now my LO is taking 3 oz per feeding which means by the end of the day I only managed to catch up with one extra bottle. I am in constant fear for a growth spurt or for a dry run during a session. I feel like I'm stressing and that the supply will increase in time and I am just expecting too much too soon, but I can't help but to be constantly watching the slow drips. When did you notice an increase in supply and did it come gradually or was there a week milestone I can shoot for. Thanks
    I EP and LO was 5 weeks old before I had enough extra to start freezing! It will come - don't stress
    Rene, first time mom to born 6/13/08

since day 1!

Donated 684oz (so far) to the Mother's Milk Bank of Ohio

how long have you had your current pumps? Over time you may need to replace parts depending on how your pump is preforming. Also, sometimes the motor needs replacing (if using an electric pump). Simply boiling the "boilable" parts can help sometimes. Also, check to see if you're using the right sized flange. This can affect output. The proper fitting flange can make all the difference.

the "normal" amount to get from the average pumping session is 1/2 to 2 ounces (and that's both breasts). When breastfeeding full time it's normal to have to pump a couple of times in order to get enough milk for one bottle. It's also normal to see a decrease in the amount of milk that you can pump after your milk regulates. The best advice I can give is to continue doing what you're doing, and once you get enough for 2 or 3 bottles, maybe try to give her a bottle in place of a feeding and pump while she takes the bottle. This worked for me. I was able to pump much more when I pumped a "missed" feeding, instead of pumping at the tail end of a feeding. This starts a routine and also doesn't cause any oversupply.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Sometimes I got 1 oz, sometimes I got 4 oz. It took me about 2 weeks too before I first got 4 oz (2 each side). And once I fed my baby during the day instead of pumping, I had a problem pumping again. I think you have to keep pumping and soon you will get more milk