Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bumping Up Milk Supply & Re-nursing

Default Bumping Up Milk Supply & Re-nursing

My baby is now 3 months old and I'm trying to get him exclusively breastfed. It has been a tough road since the begining since he was born with jaundice and we supplemented him since Day 2. I was nursing him and supplementing. In the first few weeks, he was mostly nursed and I would pump some to fill in the times that I couldnt nurse so at least he would be receiving breast milk. Slow the downward spiral caught up along with other stresses and events in my life led me to exclusively supplement him.

For the past week, I have been taking fenugreek capsules 3 times a day and trying to do skin to skin at night. Also, I have been pumping a few times a day for about ten minutes each. I also brought Mother's Milk Tea to try and see if that will help too. And a little before he was 2 months old, I went to see a LC because he kept falling asleep and taking more than 2 hours nursing and still wouldnt be full. She helped me with his latch, but we determined my supply was low at that point. Now, it is beyond low... I would be lucky if I got out an ounce a day.

What should I be doing to help him become exclusively breastfed? Any idea of how long it may take?

Thanks for any help in advance!!!

Default Re: Bumping Up Milk Supply & Re-nursing

I hope we'll be able to offer you the information you need to get you back on track..

I have a question though - the LC and her determination of 'low supply' was it only because of what you were pumping and no other factors? Generally that is not the best way to determine low supply (as many womens bodys do not react kindly to pumping ) THis resource has some info you might find useful with regard to low supply.

You might also find this resource useful as well - as it talks about getting baby off supplements.
    Also - what does a typical day of feeding look like for you guys right now? How many times at the breast? For how long? etc...

Hope we can help...

I'd also suggest calling a LLL leader local to you to get extra help "in person"!

Edited to add this: I just reread your post and somehow missed that he was on all formula... still check out the links I gave above, and do contact a leader to help you through... but I wanted to add this link on relactation as well
    Last edited by @llli*number3; September 9th, 2008 at 01:24 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: Bumping Up Milk Supply & Re-nursing

Also - what does a typical day of feeding look like for you guys right now? How many times at the breast? For how long? etc...

Hope we can help...

I'd also suggest calling a LLL leader local to you to get extra help "in person"!

Edited to add this: I just reread your post and somehow missed that he was on all formula... still check out the links I gave above, and do contact a leader to help you through... but I wanted to add this link on relactation as well [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the warm welcome!

When I visited the LC, we measured his weight before an after an hour session and he transferred only 1 ounce at a time where his regular intake was about 3 -4 ounces. After every feeding of 2+ hrs, he would be immediately hungry (after about 5 minutes or so) and since he was "underweight" to begin with the pedi wanted me to supplement after feeding to get his weight up. Anyways, since he was only transferring 1 ounce, she suggested I chart a 24 - 48 hr period of pumping. And it was barely fitting his needs if just underneath the mark.

In a typical day I may nurse him a couple of times and try to make it coincide with pumping (right before). The only problem is that he would only nurse for no more than 5 minutes on one side (since it is like a drop like flow, if that) and then on the other side no more than 2 min (I'm guessing he is already frustrated for getting nothing significant).

thanks for the links & positive attitude!!!!!!!!