Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non Gaining Weight-I know what the Dr. will say

Default Non Gaining Weight-I know what the Dr. will say

DS is 5 days away from being 11 months old. For the past 4-6 weeks, he's been a totally different baby. He's been fussy, and only wants me to hold him when DH isn't around. He hasn't gained any weight since the 9 month wellbaby. I have a scale and chart at home, and track his progress. He is 95% on height, but 10% on weight. He nurses every 3 hours during the day, but off and on constantly throughout the night. To make matters worse, he doesn't like solids, through the 3-4 feedings per day he might eat and ounce or just a little more. When he does eat solids well for a change, he's constipated for days afterwards. We've tried every kind of food appropriate for his age, and mostly all he will eat is fruits. If I take him to the doctor, I know he'll insist on formula.

I should also note that over the last 2 months, he's had 4 teeth come in, a growth spurt, is almost standing, and tring to walk. DH thinks these events are largely to blame, but I'm worried.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Default Re: Non Gaining Weight-I know what the Dr. will say

Between either the 6- and 9-month checkups or the 9- and 12-month, Thomas gained 6 ounces. Yeah. Six ounces. I was a wreck. I just knew that the pediatrician was going to really get upset, and tried to prepare myself for it. She was not surprised or upset, and he had grown lengthwise some. She said that he is built like his dad, long and lean, and that he would gain even more slowly as he gets even more active. She did some labwork to make sure he was getting what he needed in terms of nutrients, and told me to chill.

I know it's hard, and I have spent a lot of time worrying about Thomas's weight gain (or lack thereof) and small size, so I know how that can be. Try to take a deep breath, and see what the doctor says--and even more importantly, what your gut tells you about whether he's healthy. He's had a lot of things going on in the last few months!

Also, if he's eating solids, we found that adding some healthy fats to his diet made a difference. Try not to stress about it (easier said than done, I know!).

What are some good suggestions for healthy fats?

What about alvacado?
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hollandperformance.horses View Post
    DS is 5 days away from being 11 months old. For the past 4-6 weeks, he's been a totally different baby. He's been fussy, and only wants me to hold him when DH isn't around. He hasn't gained any weight since the 9 month wellbaby. I have a scale and chart at home, and track his progress. He is 95% on height, but 10% on weight. He nurses every 3 hours during the day, but off and on constantly throughout the night. To make matters worse, he doesn't like solids, through the 3-4 feedings per day he might eat and ounce or just a little more. When he does eat solids well for a change, he's constipated for days afterwards. We've tried every kind of food appropriate for his age, and mostly all he will eat is fruits. If I take him to the doctor, I know he'll insist on formula.

I should also note that over the last 2 months, he's had 4 teeth come in, a growth spurt, is almost standing, and tring to walk. DH thinks these events are largely to blame, but I'm worried.
    It sounds like he is teething maybe????It can be normal to not gain much weight from 9-12 months. It sounds like your son is long and lean. How are you and DH built?? If he is peeing and pooping and meetng milestones I see no need for formula... essentially he could go to cow's milk in a few weeks ( NOT suggesting this) but I bet that we be what your doc recommends. I would follow your own gut instincts and just keep nursing on demand... when he is fussy does he want to nurse? My dd nurses mre when she is sick or teething or just fussy. Not eating much solids at 11 months is NORMAL!!! my 15 month old probably gets at least 50% of her nutrition from nursing... she is not a good soilds eater at all. Its normal . So kids are slow to get into solids especially if they are teething.
    Your son sounds fine to me!! I wouldn't worry and don't start formula or cows milk! Just keep on nursing. As far as the solids go... Flax seed oil is a GREAT sorce of healthy fats and is good for making them poop too!!!! I give it to my dd in some applesauce and it keeps her regular. Its at most healthfood stores and some regular stores. Store it in the fridge. I also add fat to anthing my daughter eats... Butter or oil on pasta and veggies.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

avacado is a great source of healthy fats. I know some mamas mix it with banana and give it to their lo. I wanted to add that my daughter is in the < 10% for weight.. and I am not concerned. She is just small as dh and I are petite.... Babies come in all shapes and sizes

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I just worry and I know I shouldn't. But DS is/was such a happy baby....he smiled at everyone, now he furrows his brow at everyone. He looks very healthy to me, but 4-6 weeks of fussiness is A LOT.

As far as DH and I, DH is 6'2" and built like a football player, and I am 5'9" and I wouldn't say skinny but I'm thin/slender. Many on my grandfather's side are tall and slender.

I will try to quit worrying and thank you so much. I feel so blessed to have so many mothers support on here.
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Just want to reiterate that it's so normal for babies to not gain weight between 9-12 months. DD #1 actually lost several ounces between 9 and 12 months and weighed the exact same at 15 months as she did at 9 months. My guess is that your ped will be more likely to pressure you about increasing solids and might want you to reduce nursing but is unlikely at this point to push for formula.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

I love the way my ped put it with DD1 (who was born 50% and started losing ground at 6 mos and now is still at 5% at 3.5 yrs). For the first six months, she said, it's all about nutrition (BF), then the genes kick in! I'm short and while DH is tall, he had some developmental growth delay (didn't stop growing until in his 20's and a small child). Our daughter is, well, like US! You and your DH are tall - so is your DS. You are slender - well, so is he!! It sounds like he's doing great!!

DH and I tried something new with DS and IT WORKED!!!!! DH cooks almost every meal. We eat very healthy and he uses many spices. So when I was pregnany with DS he got a lot of spicey foods and now nursing him I know my breastmilk is ever changing.

I went on the homemade baby food site and looked up what spices I could add to his food. I fed DS an alvacado with garlic powder on it and he LOVED IT. So for dinner he ate what we ate. HE ATE THE BEST HE HAS EVER EATEN. So, I think our weight problem will be over soon. DS just wants our food not baby food.

Thanks again
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hollandperformance.horses View Post
    DS just wants our food not baby food.
    And who can blame him?? That stuff is :
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!