Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: It hurts, am I doin it right?

Default It hurts, am I doin it right?

Hello everyone and thanks for looking.

Well, I've been full time breastfeeding and it's going great, my problem is with pumping. Everytime I try to do it, it hurts. I thought at first the flange might be too small, so I read medela's guide to buying the correct one and they said if your nipples are the size of a quarter you need large and if they are half dollar sized you need extra large. Well they certainly weren't half dollar sized so I bought the large, but the same problem keeps happening.

I have rather large breasts so I have to hold them up while pumping. I get the flange correctly positioned on my breast and start to pump and at first it is fine but soon it pulls more of my breast into the shaft so that the skin is rubbing on the plastic. The pain is deep in my breast, not like a pinching. I haven't been able to get more than an ounce without having to quit from the pain. I don't know if it matters but my nipples are very short compared to the ones I see in pictures.

If anyone knows what to do I'd be so grateful

Default Re: It hurts, am I doin it right?

If the pain is deep it could be thrush. Pumping shuldn't hurt deep into your breast.

Here's a link about thrush.

And for your nipples, try olive oil or lansinoh on them before you pump. It will help the friction.

Good luck. HTH!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I would back up the intensity for sure and also perhaps the length of time between suctions?

Way too lazy for formula

I've had that pain as well and I turn down the pump. After a while you'll get used to it and the can turn it up.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I would back up the intensity for sure and also perhaps the length of time between suctions?
    Robin

Thank you all very much for your responces!

As far as it being thrush, I'm pretty sure it's not because I've had it previously during the first couple weeks of breastfeeding, but we got over that. Doesn't hurt at all when DD eats, just when pumping.

I forgot to mention that this is a hand pump. I'm definately not doing it very hard, just barely any suction at all, it's like the milk lets down and then for lack of a better word the boob kind of deflates, KWIM? And then more of the skin gets suctioned in

Sorry if this is TMI!