Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cranky baby parents need help please!

Default Cranky baby parents need help please!

My first post so please take it easy on me if I make a mistake. So glad to find this site.

Newborn baby boy 1m has red bump blotches on face. It makes him very irritable and he cries intensely. We think its mom's consumption of "Almond Joy" candy bars. Could it be allergy to chocolate, coconut, and or almonds?

If so what can mom do to cleanse herself before nursing? Please help

Default Re: Cranky baby parents need help please!

If it is an allergy/sensitivity, she'll just have to nurse through it. Do you think it could have to do with dairy? Dairy is a very common sensitivity among breastfed babies! Almond Joy would have dairy in it too. Both of my kids have had dairy sensitivities & it takes up to 3 weeks to get totally out of your system. It's better to nurse through it then to supplement with formula though. It will be tough, but it's worth it for the baby to get all of the other benefits of mom's milk!! Hang in there!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Does it look like acne? If so, almost all babies get acne around 4-6 weeks after birth. It has to do with the hormones coming from mom. It does pass. Its also peak fussiness time. My 6 week old looks like a 12 year old with all her acne right now It does pass. She's also started her fussy time in the evening.

IT could be an allergy. Can you describe the rash some more?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Sounds like baby acne to me and newborn fussiness as pp mentioned. It could be an allergy but food allergies are less common than the aforementioned.
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165

We thought it was acne at first but then he started scratching. And it was more patchy than acne. Like acne would be individual bumps. This was more of a swollen irritation that was in patches over his cheeks and even on his ears.

Thats not good news having to wait it out. What are some the best foods to eat while breastfeeding?

If it's itchy and bothering the baby, maybe you could go see a breastfeeding friendly doctor and get some advice on treatment? Just make sure they're breastfeeding-friendly, or you may get all sorts of horrible out-dated advice like introducing formula.

I don't think it's usually necessary to alter your diet when breastfeeding, unless there's a specific allergy.

Also, there's a whole sub-forum on allergies here with some really knowledgeable mamas who could probably give you more targeted advice. Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newdad View Post
    We thought it was acne at first but then he started scratching. And it was more patchy than acne. Like acne would be individual bumps. This was more of a swollen irritation that was in patches over his cheeks and even on his ears.

Thats not good news having to wait it out. What are some the best foods to eat while breastfeeding?
    Baby acne can be on the ears as well.. or it could be baby eczema maybe??
    I doubt that anything your wife at affected the baby.....

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

You sound like me - 6 weeks ago! My baby is 13 weeks now, but at 6 weeks, I went running to the ped. with the rash insisting that he had a milk allergy. Red, bumpy, patchy rash on his face and ears, and extreme fussiness. I cut milk out of my diet and it seemed to help, but it does occasionally still flare up. I've added milk back in (in small amounts) and the rash comes and goes, although it doesn't seem to correlate to when I have milk products (and it is a hundred times better than it was). Gentle Naturals makes a baby eczema cream that I put on it after his bath. It seems to help.

Usually food allergies have other symptoms as well, like blood in the stool or vomiting.

My ped told me to keep nursing, even if he is sensitive to something in my diet. He said it's still better to get the benefits of breastmilk even if he occasionally gets something he's sensitive to.

My baby is still fussy! I hope your baby outgrows it faster than mine is!

It sounds like baby eczema to me also. My baby had it. We got rid of it very easily, just by washing her face twice a day and applying Eucerin afterwards. Our ped said if it is food-related, it could be a reaction to any protein, so he didn't recommend curbing diet right away.