Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The face of my nipple is detaching... its 1/4 of the way off PLEASE HELP!

Unhappy The face of my nipple is detaching... its 1/4 of the way off PLEASE HELP!

I'm posting this for my friend because you hasn't been able to get on

Her son is three months and she has been bf.

Her nipples are starting to detach at the base and the skin and the top and sides are starting to flake and bleed.

If she pumps then blood is getting into the milk

While she nurses it is extremely painful.

Last night she told me she felt like her nipples were in boiling water.

PLEASE HELP!
    She has been using lotions.. vasaline... lansiloh and nothing is helping..

What should she do?
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Default Re: The face of my nipple is detaching... its 1/4 of the way off PLEASE HELP!

Oh my that sounds painful. So sorry, I remember that in the beginning. Can she airdry them with some breastmilk on them? Does she have a stash built up? She can do espressed milk for a day?

Make sure she has a really good latch going. It sounds like a shallow latch where just the nipple is getting into baby's mouth. Aim the nipple for the roof of baby's mouth and make sure as much of the areola as possible gets in the baby's mouth as well. After every session, put breastmilk on nipples and let them airdry. HTH.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Default Re: The face of my nipple is detaching... its 1/4 of the way off PLEASE HELP!

sounds like thrush? You have to think about thrush when you have pealing and bleeding....
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

I'd get her into a LC or IBCLC right away.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    sounds like thrush? You have to think about thrush when you have pealing and bleeding....
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html
    Really? I had that in the beginning too...no idea. Thanks Andrea.

"Don't toush da mango"

pealing and bleeding?
    Or thrush

http://www.llli.org//FAQ/thrush.html

Persistent nipple pain in the early weeks of breastfeeding, or nipple pain that appears after several weeks or months of pain-free nursing, may be caused by thrush which is a yeast infection of the nipples. Additional symptoms can include

Itchy or burning nipples that appear pink or red, shiny, flaky, and/or have a rash with tiny blisters.
    Cracked nipples.
    Shooting pains in the breast during or after feedings.
    Intense nipple or breast pain that is not improved with better latch-on and positioning.
    Deep breast pain.
    You may be at higher risk for developing thrush if you or your baby has had a recent course of antibiotics, your nipples are cracked or damaged or you are taking oral contraceptives or steroids (such as for asthma).

Ha! No clue - you ladies taught me something. I had all of that and treated it as I advised the OP. Good to know.

"Don't toush da mango"

maybe with this baby you'll have an easier time.
    I think we learn new things with each one.

her nipple is peeling and bleeding.
    She said the other night it felt like they were in boling water!
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.