Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supplemental Nursing System

Default Re: Supplemental Nursing System

Hi twins,
    I am giving her breast milk in some of the bottles and some formula. I am having major trouble right now because she really tries to nurse and then she gets on the breast and then doesn't want to nurse b/c the milk doesn't come fast enough for her. Tonight she won't even comfort nurse and earlier today she wouldn't comfort nurse to nap. My lazy husband gave her a bottle to sleep instead of trying to put her to sleep w/ rocking etc. I'm really sad. I feel like pretty soon she won't want to nurse at all. Anyways, I think the bottles are actually a good idea for you b/c it will make your life much easier in terms of the time its takes to feed your LO and the pumping will help your supply. Also, you never know, changing things up with your LO may get him back to breast.

I just posted you in another section. I am sorry to hear about the bottle situation with hubs. That is frustrating. It sounds like you are expressing a lot of milk. About how much are you expressing? That is great that your baby is getting a lot of your immunities. It might work for you to do the SNS here and there using the small tube (red tube). It is worth a try. Nurse first, do a little with the tube at the breast, then try to nurse without. You have nothing to lose since baby is having troubling coming to the breast anyhow. What about nipple shields? Have you tried that? I am trying to remember. These babies are something else aren't they? So many tricks we have to try and come up with. I hope and pray for you that you can get your little one back to the breast. Don't give up. There is still hope!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

I am expressing on average 1oz per session. Sometimes I get 1/2 oz after I feed her sometimes I get 1.5 oz and sometimes 2 oz. I am glad to give her a lot of breast milk. Although lately with her nipple preference, I haven't given her much. Today I gave her 20 oz of supplement only 6 oz of EBM.
    I think you are right about the SNS. I should probably try it in the am when she's in a good mood.
    I am scared to try the nipple shields b/c I know they can cause problems also. These babies are something else. They are too smart and strong willed.
    Did you consider the bottle and pumping? Or did my misery scare you off?
    Have you tried to use the slower flow tube? Or maybe pull the tube out when you LO is sleeping at the breast? I'm sorry I don't have too many suggestions. I don't have a lot of experience with the SNS. All I can do is keep you in my hopes and prayers. Maybe if we both focus on sending each other positive thoughts it will help!