Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplemental Nursing System

Question Supplemental Nursing System

Hi Everyone,
    My local llli leader encouraged me to not give my LO anymore bottles. She hasn't had one in two days. Spoon feeding her was torture for both of us so I bought n SNS. I've used it today and it seems to work, but I'm wondering how to incorporate it into our daily supplemental routine.
    Usually, I try to nurse and if she's really frustrated at the breast I'll giver her bottle (usually around 2-3 oz) and I'll pump. I end up giving her anywhere between 3-4 bottles a day. At night she does a cluster feed and then I'll pump, take a shower and then pump again. I'm guessing that I would substitute the SNS for the bottles that I giver her, but the way the SNS works, it seems like I'm unable to pump after the feedings. LO seems to like frequent feedings.
    Also, my local llli told me I shouldn't let her sleep through the night. That would mean that I would drop my middle of the night pumping session. Will dropping all these pumping sessions ruin my supply. I'd also like to have that milk to give her as supplements.
    Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Supplemental Nursing System

I have used the SNS system and I would be very careful with it. I feel that it destroyed my supply. It is VERY important to remain pumping after each feed. Many people have had a hard time getting their babies off of the SNS including myself! If baby is not suckling properly, it will lower the supply if you do not pump. Never substitute the pump for the SNS. That is how I got into the mess that I am in with my twins and now this newest baby of mine. Sometimes I wonder if bottles are actually better as long as you use the right kind of nipple. I have read the best is the Playtex Natural Latch. Friends of mine who have been through what I have been through but have used the bottle after nursing to supplement have been able to get their babies to the breast exclusively eventually. I have never been able to do that and I have met lots of women whose babies have also gotten hooked on the SNS. I really believe it destroys proper suckling. It takes a different type of suckling to draw the milk out although it does keep baby at the breast. My baby use to draw milk out but was very sleep. Now he just won't suckle right at all. He will not suckle at all without the SNS and I have been trying to pump to get my supply back up. It is a very hard battle since I have to pump at least 8 x's daily and that is very hard with 2 1/2 yr. old twins, 6 yr. old, and a 15 yr. old that needs me to take her places. I cry buckets all the time over my bf loss with my baby. I hate nursing with the tube and wish I could ditch it! It is too late now for me to use bottles instead since my baby is older and he won't nurse now with the SNS. He used to. Another thing is that it is time consuming using the SNS and then having to pump in the night. It can take an hour compared to nursing then using the bottle afterwards. If anyone has any ideas for me, please advise me.

I would advise that you do some research on this. There is one lady at the relactation board who eventually got her baby off of the SNS. She had to work down to the lowest tube and taper off from there.

Let us know how it goes. I am curious how this all works out. I wish you well!
    Last edited by @llli*twinsarefun; September 5th, 2008 at 11:46 PM. Reason: additional info
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

P.S. I am curious what is happening that you cannot pump after using the SNS? To me that is a warning signal of dampering your supply. If you do use the SNS, first nurse then put in the tube. I really am not sure though if you should use it. It seems like your baby is nursing well right now without it and you are able to pump which is very important for preserving your supply while baby irons out. How old is your baby?
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

Hi Twins,
    Thanks so much for the warning. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I had no idea. I can certainly relate to crying buckets over this sort of thing. I can't pump after using the SNS (I've only used it twice) because with a bottle I can pump at the same time or have someone else feed while I pump. With the SNS it seems to take a while for her to get the milk and she wants to eat pretty soon after, I don't want to pump out what she can get from me. I wanted to try the SNS b/c my LO (4 months old) has nipple confusion and I feel my supply is right there but her refusal to nurse when she gets frustrated at the breast is getting in the way. My idea was to nurse and those times during the day where she still seems hungry or gets frustrated, I would supplement with the SNS. I am going to do more research though.

Let me know what you come up with your research. I am desperately trying to get my supply up and get baby off of the tube. I so much do not want to go through what I did with my twins. I nursed them for 27 months with the SNS! I know that Jack Newman recommends the Lactation Aid (same as SNS) to be introduced after breastfeeding first. He said to use the smallest tube. I tried all of that and it just didn't work for me. I feel like baby's suck has gotten worse. A LC said it was fine in the beginning of all of this. Now the LC says that the baby's suck is not good. In the beginning, baby was just sleepy and not consistent in suckling. He was not sucking vigorously. For you, how about finger feeding first just to get baby used to a nipple type feel, and then go to the breast? Different LC's have different techniques and ideas. So maybe there is one that can give you the right advice. Jack Newman also has some great info at his web-site. I know that he feels that if the milk supply is REALLY up, then baby will take the breast. He suggest the domperidone to do that. I just don't feel comfortable taking medication for some reason. LC's recommend pumping 8-10 x's in a 24 hr. period to get the supply up and get baby to the breast. It has been difficult for me to do that with twins and my whole household. Let's keep each other encouraged here to have victory over our breastfeeding situations. I know that I need the encouragement to persevere. It is hard work!

Thanks for your support twins. I'm here for you too. Although I myself am starting to lose hope in this whole thing. in using the SNS I've come to realize that my LO is truly hooked on bottles. She hates that thing and cries and screams every time I use it. I'm just ready to give up.
    I'm actually taking Domperidone and I can't say it's done much for me. Maybe a little improvement, so I'm not sure you are missing out on anything by not taking it. I really think using the bottle is a different kind of nightmare also. I will let you know what I research. I think for now I'm going back to the bottle so at least I can pump. I'll let you know what I find out about the SNS. Hang in there mama

twins,
    I forgot to say that what you are doing and what you have accomplished with that busy household of yours is incredible. Don't forget that

Oh, one more thing. I'm sure you've tried everything to get your LO to breast, but just thought I'd offer some suggestions just in case. Have you tried putting him to breast when he's sleepy just to comfort nurse. My LO comfort nurses a lot and takes to my breast nicely at night and in the am. How about bathing with him and getting him to nurse there? My guess is that getting him to comfort nurse would be a great start for you. Keep me posted. I'm actually really close to giving up on trying to EBF myself. It's too emotionally draining.

Have either of you read about the "Finish at the Breast" method of bottle supplementation? here

You might find it helpful.

I'm glad you are encouraging each other.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Thank you for the encouragement. We really need it to get through it. I have cried buckets at night when my baby takes forever (about an hour) to feed and I am exhausted when that happens three times at night with the SNS. Baby used to nurse better before the SNS and now Lact-Aid. I switched over thinking it might stimulate better. I think the smallest tube of the SNS is best. I am just trying the Lact-Aid for two weeks (read a good case where someone increased their supply) and then I will go back to the SNS. The approaching winter spurs me on though. I want those antibodies for my baby! I have been tempted to turn to donor milk!

I was wondering, are you pumping and that is the milk you are giving in the bottle? If so, I have talked to consultants who say it is better to pump if baby is not suckling well. If your baby is nursing good at the breast and you are getting 2-3 bottles, that is great! I might try and switch to do that. Let me know if you are using breastmilk or formula in the bottles. I am curious. That might help with my decision trying to decide to ditch the SNS and go with pumping as much as I can to get the supply up. Every consultant I have met with said that the SNS will not stimulate my supply unless baby is suckling right.