Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My baby will not drink scalded milk

Default My baby will not drink scalded milk

Since my baby is not taking well to even the scalded milk, is there anything that I can mix in with the milk to make it more tasty? My Lactation consultant has never even heard of the lipase issue, but suggested I add formula to it. Has anyone ever heard if adding juice is bad? How am I going to go back to work? I just thru out my entire stash because of the metal taste/smell.

Default Re: My baby will not drink scalded milk

I wouldn't add juice.

Whos is offering baby the bottle?

Does baby have to be getting a bottle at this stage?

(Sounds like your LC needs to recertifiy herself )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I had some questions too!

Has your baby taken a bottle in the same manner your trying to give it now? I'm just wondering if this could be another issue besides your milk, sometimes babies will outright refuse a bottle.

I don't know that formula would make it taste better.. it doesn't have much of a good taste itself! How old is your baby? Juice is usually not recommended at all before one year and isn't needed the first two years. It would be kind of like adding sugar to the bottle.

I know that really doesn't help much, but maybe with those questions we can help you figure out what is going on.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I just replied to your PM I agree w/ LLLJessica that there may be something else going on. Have you tried giving your baby milk that you JUST pumped? If she takes that bottle well then for sure it's either a lipase or handling issue. Also check the temp on your freezer and fridge just to rule that out. If she refuses freshly pumped milk than it could be she prefers the "real deal" and if that's the case you can look into different bottles... Anyway, let us know how things go. Hang in there you are doing great

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

My baby is 8 weeks old. I can pump fresh, put it in a bottle, and she will drink it with no problems.

I pumped this morning at 9 am and she just drank it at 1 PM, so I think my milk will at least last 4 hours, which may be why I never have discovered the lipase issue until now. I thawed out some frozen and after heated, smelled like metal. Yesterday I put some unscalded in the frig and this morning I heated it, and it smelled a hint of metal. My husband concluded...

My freezer is a deep freezer and is not self defrosting (I hoped it was). My refrigerater temperature is normal.

I have scalded some milk at 145 and 180. I have better luck getting her to drink the 180. Would it taste different? I thought she might not like scalded milk so last night I pumped, scalded, then cooled, then reheated to drinking temp, and she drank it all just fine.

What she does to the scalded milk is drink about an ounce and then will not drink anymore. Then she cries, so when I offer her the milk again, she makes a ugh face. I would not think anything would happen that fast that she would not like the taste, just within minutes would it..

I replied to your PM as well.

Just had a thought about the bottle thing... does she need burped after an ounce? Is it a slow flow nipple?

I had a little better luck with the bottles when someone else fed ds. When I was there he just wanted me.

My questions remain... Who's giving bottle to baby and can we assume you're in need of getting your LO to take a bottle asap?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

She needs to drink it from a bottle by the 19th because I was going to work a consignment sale for 6 hours. Then I will start back to work on Dec. 1st and was wanting to get my freezer stash started. But if she will not drink what I have scalded, it would be no use in freezing it yet.

My husband tried the bottle, I have tried, and my mother has tried.

I have not thought about the possibility of her needing to burb, although she rarely does. Maybe she could just be full?

Can I assume that if I am scalding the lipase is being inactivated and I have an additional problem? So if I freeze it it will not continue to break down and hopefully by December I will have her drinking it?

I have no experience with this issue, but I just saw another question that hadn't been asked that might shed some light on things.

How are you scalding the milk? In a pan?