Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a drink and nursing

Default Having a drink and nursing

If a i have a beer how long do i have to wait to nurse?

Default Re: Having a drink and nursing

You might find this resource helpful
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

it will go through your system in an hour... i remember reading on here that if you could drive you can nurse... i'll see if i can find it

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

An hour isn't solid fact for every individual though... IMO it's best to wait a few (2-3) hours ... (as per the recommendation on the link above )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

wow just a few hours?? i thought it would be days??

i just turned 21 and didnt drink a thing, because i didnt have like 10 bottles of breastmilk stored up. so i can safely drink???
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

and do i pump about an hour after i do? and throw it away?? im gonna read that link thats a few posts up. maybe itll answer some q's
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Do check out that link. Dr. Newman (a pediatrician and leading expert in the field of human lactation) tells women that it's perfectly fine to drink moderate amounts of alcohol while nursing. A rule of thumb a lot of women here have talked about is "if you're okay to drive, you're okay to nurse." So I wouldn't even worry about waiting those few hours unless I've gotten myself drunk. I'm pretty sure you don't even need to worry about pumping and dumping then (unless you're getting engorged and uncomfortable) because your breastmilk will be clean once your blood is.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

yay im glad its the weekend haha

just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*iryssa View Post
    Do check out that link. Dr. Newman (a pediatrician and leading expert in the field of human lactation) tells women that it's perfectly fine to drink moderate amounts of alcohol while nursing. A rule of thumb a lot of women here have talked about is "if you're okay to drive, you're okay to nurse." So I wouldn't even worry about waiting those few hours unless I've gotten myself drunk. I'm pretty sure you don't even need to worry about pumping and dumping then (unless you're getting engorged and uncomfortable) because your breastmilk will be clean once your blood is.
    I'm gonna pipe back in here only because I have to I hear that saying all the time here and off-board and I hate it and Ill tell you why. Many people don't know their own limit and we have people all the time driving after they think they're fine... so I always figure better safe than sorry and wait a recommended time.

JMO

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Okay, how 'bout I put it this way...if you're LEGALLY okay to drive, you're okay to nurse

I know, a lot of people don't know their limit...but I honestly would never have had a drink if someone had just given me a time limit...my LO often nursed every hour! There was just no predicting when he would nurse or when he could go a couple of hours without! And for a lot of people that's not a problem...but wine is sortof part of my family's culture. We're not heavy drinkers, but a glass or two of wine at a dinner party is a part of the celebration (and if it's not good wine, it's not worth drinking!) so once the pregnancy drinking ban was off, I found it was making people feel awkward during that time when I thought I couldn't drink anything because I was nursing...they felt bad for drinking around me, so I was kinda bringing people down. I've always known my limit, and when someone does happen to have more than that one or two glasses at our family events, they get thoroughly mocked

Anyway, that's why I personally like that rule. But yeah, if you're not sure of your limits, I can understand why a time limit would be more helpful to you...it just never was to me personally.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa