Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When will it slow down?

Default When will it slow down?

People keep telling me that as babies get older they eat less... Well DD is nearly 6 months are still eating 10 - 12 + times a day! There have been some short periods when she'd eat about 7-8 times a day but they didn't last long.
    Sometimes the frequency doesn't bother me, but sometimes it drives me crazy! She's stopped sleeping well at night now too so that's probably why I'm more frustrated by this. She used to sleep 6hrs then 3 hrs and sometimes another 2hrs at night. Now she's up every 2-3hrs. I've read that sometimes babies get restless at night when they're on the cusp of a new milestone... so that may be why she's not sleeping well (she's sooo close to crawling). Anyway that's a bit off point. I'm really wondering if it's normal that at 6 months she's still eating this often and when it will decrease?

Default Re: When will it slow down?

I can't say when/if it will - sorry. In my most recent experience DS nursed regularly (that is every 2-3 hours) until he weaned at 23 mo. I did night wean him at 18 mo so that aided in getting a little more sleep but not much

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    I can't say when/if it will - sorry. In my most recent experience DS nursed regularly (that is every 2-3 hours) until he weaned at 23 mo. I did night wean him at 18 mo so that aided in getting a little more sleep but not much

You have amazing strength to make it to 23 months. My goal is 12 months and it seems like years away at this point. I feel like all I do is nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*baby-blue-eyes View Post
    You have amazing strength to make it to 23 months. My goal is 12 months and it seems like years away at this point. I feel like all I do is nurse.
    It is all you're doing But if you take it one day/week/month at a time you'd surprise yourself with what can be endured for the better of the babe

have you noticed any reoccuring 'theme's when you get frustrated with it? Are you tied? Eating right? Has your cycles returned?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I definitely get more frustrated when I'm tired. I think I'm eating all right. And no my cycles haven't returned. I also get more frustrated when she's cranky... along with not sleeping well last night she's refused to nap today. So the pair of us are not the happiest today. She doesn't seem to like lying down to nurse/nap anymore. She just fights me and cries. Haven't really noticed any other themes.

She might be entering a new phase too - see if this link offers anything helpful

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Six months is such a rough time. They can be teething. They want to move, but can't very well yet. All the developmental changes do cause more frequent night waking. Sometimes getting out for a change of scenery can help on the cranky days. And it does get better.

Some babies continue to nurse frequently for a long time. I thought they were suppose to nurse less often as they got older, but it didn't happen for us. DS nursed that often until probably 18-20 months, then it started to slow down a bit. Some moms (who are making plently of milk) have smaller storage capacities, thus nursing more frequently is just the pattern their babies have.

Is there anything you can do to get more sleep? Nap during the day? Change sleeping arrangements at night? We started bedsharing at 7 months and it hugely helped my attitude about night nursing.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jcdandfamily View Post

Is there anything you can do to get more sleep? Nap during the day? Change sleeping arrangements at night? We started bedsharing at 7 months and it hugely helped my attitude about night nursing.
    I can sometimes nap with her during the day, but other times no. I can only nap with her of we nurse lying down (on her own she only naps 30 min ish and it takes me a good 15 min to fall asleep so that's just frustrating). However lately she often fights me if I try to nurse lying down. Won't relax enough to sleep.

I'm too afraid to bring her in the bed with me at night. I'm fine but my DH is an extremely heavy sleeper. He could (in fact HAS) sleep through an earthquake. She can be screaming in the same room as him and it won't wake him. He also moves alot in his sleep. I'm used to pushing him away when he gets on my side and leaves me no space. Our bed isn't up against a wall... so if the baby were with us it would mean in the middle and risk getting rolled over or on the end and risk falling off. Not something I want to do. So the co-sleeping has been limited to daytime naps... when I can get hre to do it.

A bed rail might be another option if you want to bring her to bed (and keep her safely not next to your DH). I picked one up at a garage sale. Some moms also take one side off the crib and sidecar it to the bed.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

mama I've slept through earthquakes too... and wake at every slight move of my babe. That doesn't mean your huby will BUT csleeping might still be an option for you all - worth a shot to read up on. There are safe ways to practice it. Here's more info if you're interested

(and I second the bedrail suggestion )

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson