Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clustering at Night and feel there's not enough

Default Clustering at Night and feel there's not enough

My LO is now 3 months old. He's doubled his birth wt at 2.5 months and is doing great! During the day he usually only takes on breast at a time because I make plenty of milk. He now sleeps about 7-8 hrs straight at night. For the past week he has been wanting to cluster in the evening. He'll eat at 7,8, and 9 pm for example. THe issue is I don't really have enough in my breasts by the end of the day for him to eat that often. Especially since he is an efficient nurser and gets all the milk out. I have supplemented him with my own milk (pumped from the morning when I am overly full) at night but don't want to do that all the time. Last night I just let him nurse for longer than usual. We've also started to give him the paci because he has loved to comfort nurse since birth and I am trying not to do so much of that anymore esp since I'll be going back to work.

Anyone else deal with a feeling of diminishing supply in the evening?
    Lots of babies cluster in the evening right?
    Does anyone supplement with their own milk?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Clustering at Night and feel there's not enough

What makes you feel you don't have enough?

One's breast is never really empty

here's some links you might find helpful with regard to cluster feeds, and growth spurts, and milk production
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

THanks for the articles. The reason I didn't think he was getting enough, is that in the evening I do have to give both sides since he is constantly nursing. Then both sides seem very empty and he's sucking harder and harder and seems frustrated.

He doesn't seem to be that "comforted" from the clustering, more hungry. I guess it seems I should just let him do it and my body will adjust?

No problem - check 'em out when you can - there's bound to be some things there that relate to your situation right now (in each link)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*genieinabottle View Post
    ...I guess it seems I should just let him do it and my body will adjust?
    yes it will. The more baby nurses the more your body is signaled to make.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.