Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fussiness as only symptom of allergy?

Default fussiness as only symptom of allergy?

Long story very very short - my 9 month old DS has always been a very fussy baby. Many of you have probably seen my other posts related to this issue.

Has anyone else had a baby whose only symptom of food allergy/intolerance was fussiness, and had them improve by changing mom's diet?

He has never had any symptoms of either food allergies (either in what he's eating or my BM) or reflux - other than the fussiness. He is a good sleeper at night and rarely spits up nor has any bowel issues. He doesn't fit any of the other criteria for these issues. We are now doing a trial of Zantac and it isn't helping.

We are at our wits' end and he is not growing out of the fussiness. So I am planning to go on a dairy-free diet to see if this helps.

I'm desperate here - I will try anything to help my baby be happier.
    Last edited by @llli*lovebeingmommy; September 4th, 2008 at 09:39 PM.

Default Re: fussiness as only symptom of allergy?

My daughter was a VERY fussy baby and child. We found out when she was school-age that she is gluten intolerant and that behavior changes (mostly being angry and tantrumming) are the only external signs of her exposure. So, when my son was born and started getting fussy, I eliminated gluten from my diet. With him, it ended up being multiple food sensitivities, but some of them do just have behavioral effects. FoodLab is a great resource for information. They can help with sensitivities that seem to go together hand-in-hand (for example, dairy and gluten sensitivities often go together, and many babies with dairy issues will also have trouble with soy as a replacer for milk), as well as lists of hidden ingredients, substitutions, recipes, etc. I think it's totally worth trying whatever you can to make your kiddo more comfortable and happy! Good luck!

duckpond - how did you verify that your dd was gluten intolerant?

I know moms hate to hear this but some babies are just fussy.

What kinds of behaviour is "fussy" for you guys?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    I know moms hate to hear this but some babies are just fussy.

What kinds of behaviour is "fussy" for you guys?
    That's what I think about dd1's prior baby behavior. She was VERY fussy - irritable, never satisfied, colicky the first 3 month, etc. She never showed signs of food intolerance (physically) until after she had rotovirus at 9 mos. Then, she was temporarily lactose intolerant and developed "Toddler Diarrhea" that lasted until she was about 2. As stated in much of the research I did, she "outgrew" this condition at that time and since has had no problems (she is 3.5 yrs old now). She doesn't drink milk, though - she doesn't like it - but she eats cheese and yogurt, etc., with no issues. She is still a "high maintenance" child - prone to emotional outbursts. This is why I personally am asking about what lead pp to find the gluten intolerance. Just my story.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

dr sears has some great info on his web site about fussy babies...

this is a great book about the subject

https://www.askdrsears.com/store/detail.asp?pid=18

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I honestly don't have the time, energy, or the desire to get into a debate on whether my baby really is fussy or whether we just have a low tolerance for fussing. I have read all the Sears stuff and it hasn't helped at all, other than to validate that we aren't crazy in feeling this way. It seems to be geared toward a lot younger babies anyway. He is 9 months old now and honestly his fussing hasn't gotten any better since he was 3-4 months. He is growing well and meeting all milestones.

All I can say is that, in general, we are truly at our wits' end because he whines a LOT and for most of the day on a lot of days I really have no idea what he wants, how to help him, or how to get him to be content. I feel like a total failure as a mother because my baby is not happy much of the time. We are very limited in any outings we can do (like things as simple as going to the mall for a short outing) because he might be so fussy that we have to come home right after we get there. I have many good friends with babies and NONE of them have described anything near the issues we're having. They all ask me how we are able to survive this. They are all going out to the zoo, the beach, and away for weekends and for us, doing any of those things is practically impossible because he is just so fussy. The biggest thing is that everyone else says having a baby is "fun," and "a blast," and "great" and most of the time, no matter how positive we try to be, we just don't feel that way. Sure, we do have some good days and some glimpses of how fun it can be, but most of the time we are in survival mode, wondering what we are doing wrong.

In the end, this is probably just his temperament - he clearly is a high-needs baby although he doesn't fit a lot of the Sears criteria. We are going to wait a few more months before requesting a more thorough eval from our ped because we are still hoping that once he's able to communicate more and move around, he will get better. I am trying the dairy-free approach in hopes that we can correct this behavior so that we can save our sanity. I'm still hoping to hear from others out there who had a fussy older baby and it ended up being something related to food.
    Last edited by @llli*lovebeingmommy; September 5th, 2008 at 02:59 PM.

I'm not trying to debate mama Best way for me to try an offer something useful, I am just asking you to describe what you mean by fussy - it's a relative term
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I'm sorry I came off that way....
    Your not a failure as a mother!
    more later its supper time

all I can say is that he just whines a lot, fusses a lot, is unpredictable to the extreme, and in general seems like he wants something that we have no clue how to give him. He doesn't cry a lot - just makes a lot of whiny, upset, frustrated-type noises. He doesn't seem to be in pain. If we are in away from home where we can't do any of the few things that do soothe him sometimes, we are in big trouble because then the fussiness just escalates into crying. He is a horrible napper which is a whole other issue that we've been unsuccessful in fixing.

The best way I can describe it is that it's like that random general fussiness that younger babies have, that all my friends' babies seem to have grown out of. Everyone kept telling me "it'll get better" but it just hasn't. Some days he is fussy from the minute he wakes up in the morning - those days are the worst. Even my ped (whom we like) said that it's not really the norm for them to be this fussy at this age (and she has 7 kids) although she is also scratching her head as to what could be wrong, if anything.
    Last edited by @llli*lovebeingmommy; September 5th, 2008 at 03:09 PM.