Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oatmeal?

Default Oatmeal?

What is the deal with oatmeal and milk production I am drinking Mother's Milk Tea at the present time and I am also eating oatmeal, but I read somewhere that it can't be instant oatmeal. Is that true? I am working and going to school, so anything that can be accomplished "instantly" is priority for me. My lo's nursing strike is permanent. We are going on week four now, so my days of nursing are over I have been pumping up a storm, but I don't seem to be increasing???? Soooo, back to the oatmeal.....I also read that I could make a batch of oatmeal cookies for on the run intake. Again, is instant ok, or do I find a recipe that calls for original oatmeal Thanks!

New Mommy to Michael 4-5-08
    and and new to the world of

Default Re: Oatmeal?

I don't know the science, but I have been using a combination of oatmeal (instant) and fenugreek and it's been working well for me. I actually use the powder or whole seeds (dosage, see http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...ek.html#dosage) because it's SO much cheaper - fenugreek tablets are ridiculously expensive, and you can get the powder or seeds at any Indian grocer (or online, or at many other stores).

Good luck, and I'm sure someone will have a better answer on the oatmeal - I'd love to know too, since I never heard about a problem with instant.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I've heard you get better results with non-instant oatmeal for some reason. In the begining when I was in my new mommy zombie stage I would use the quick cooking. I would just put on the kettle to boil, add the hot water to the oatmeal and let it sit for a few minutes. It didn't really take much more time then instant since I didn't have to babysit it.

You could also make up a big batch of the slow cook oatmeal when you have the time and just save and reheat the rest. I actually do this now for mine and DS' breakfast and it works great. Oatmeal worked so well for me I could even get away with eating Nature (might be Natural) Valley granola bars and see an increase. Those are the hard kind that come two to a pack, great for on the run snack since the peanut butter ones were decent in protien

There is a reciepe floating around here for cookies to boost lactation, let me see if I can find it for you....

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Here is the cookie reciepe I've tried it but couldn't find Brewers yeast and it still worked but like I said, my body responded really well to oatmeal by itself.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    I've heard you get better results with non-instant oatmeal for some reason. In the begining when I was in my new mommy zombie stage I would use the quick cooking. I would just put on the kettle to boil, add the hot water to the oatmeal and let it sit for a few minutes. It didn't really take much more time then instant since I didn't have to babysit it.

You could also make up a big batch of the slow cook oatmeal when you have the time and just save and reheat the rest. I actually do this now for mine and DS' breakfast and it works great. Oatmeal worked so well for me I could even get away with eating Nature (might be Natural) Valley granola bars and see an increase. Those are the hard kind that come two to a pack, great for on the run snack since the peanut butter ones were decent in protien

There is a reciepe floating around here for cookies to boost lactation, let me see if I can find it for you....
    I also eat the non quick it doesn't take that long either once you get used to it..and I love to add frozen blueberries and walnuts to spice it up a little it does get redundant after awhile...
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

How in the world did I miss that previous post about oatmeal???? I must have been in a delirious state again. I'm sleep deprived...Great ideas on both posts, Thanks!

New Mommy to Michael 4-5-08
    and and new to the world of