Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frozen Breast Milk

Default Frozen Breast Milk

I came searching the website for answers so I am a new poster. I breastfeed my baby for 3 months at home and now am returning to work. I have froze BM in the chest freezer and am taking it to day care. It appears my baby is refusing the frozen milk. My mother in law watched him last week and he didn't refuse the bottle at all. I started day care on Tuesday and they can not get him to take the bottle and tried numerous nipples. I pumped yesterday afternoon and took it directly there and he ate it down. This morning they called when he refused the bottle and I went there. It was warmed frozen and he screamed for about 20 minutes before I could get him to take it. It was only in the freezer for 1 month and I am especially careful to get it frozen as soon as I pump. Do you guys have any suggestions? It's day 3 and I'm exhausted from running from work to day care 3 times a day and I don't know how long my boss will let me continue this.

Default Re: Frozen Breast Milk

I don't have this problem but I've read other mama's post about this. You may have a lipase problem where you're milk becomes rancid after a few hours. Read this to get more info. It may be why your LO is not drinking milk from a bottle.

It could also be nipple confusion. Other mama's will chime in to give you more answers. You've come to the right place though! Welcome!
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

My baby was very particular about temp. If it was not warm enough she would refuse it. It also might help if the caregiver put a blanket on their shoulder that has your scent on it.

Does it smell okay? The lipase problem is something to check into but I believe you will usually notice a smell if that is the issue.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Things are looking better. He is taking the bottle after some time and patience. I am still going there three times a day but things are looking brighter!! We have this weekend to practice practice practice. I still want to be able to nurse him though, so I don't want to get him totally on the bottle.

How do they warm the bottles there? I'm sure most daycares use bottle warmers, but if they do happen to use the microwave (which is a no-no anyway) you may want to suggest they run it under warm water instead. I left my son with a sitter once who nuked the bottle of breastmilk (even after I told her not to yeah, she didn't sit him again), and he hated it.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Just my opinion, but I don't think babies need practice to take a bottle. Sounds like he knows how just fine (for you MIL). When you're home with your baby, NURSE him. Don't confuse him by refusing that. It will be more relaxing for both of you.

And maybe keep one of the visits to daycare if possible (lunch break?), even after he is doing better. That way you can nurse once during your work day. He's probably pretty stressed being away from you, which is probably why he refused the bottle.

I work, too. And I know how hard it is to leave your LO with someone else. You're awesome for pumping milk for him--a little bit of you will be with him every time he eats!
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

My mom tried giving him the bottle yesterday and he wouldn't take it so I was nervous for this morning but he took it fine. I think maybe it's not the frozen part but the nipple? Slow and fast. He doesn't like the fast flow nipples. How long do they usually need the slow flow nipples? I don't know if this is it but our second week of daycare and it's getting a little better. So they should be able to distinguish bottle and nipple. Like on the weekends can I just breast feed all weekend and he take the bottle ok on Monday or should I bottle feed at about the same time the daycare would to keep the same routine?

might not be the bottles or the your milk might just be the adjustment to day care

that can take some babies 6-8 weeks....

mine took slow flow nipples the whole year. now if i'm not here he uses a sippy cup

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

oh just saw the last part of your post. don't bother w/ bottles on the weekend, just nurse. he'll learn that bottles are for daycare.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09