Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Block Feeding

Default Block Feeding

Hi,
    I started block feeding a few days ago to help with a (self diagnosed) oversupply problem and have a few questions. How long before you see an improvemnet in your babies comfort? How will I know when to stop block feeding or should continue to block feed indefinately? Thanks!

Default Re: Block Feeding

I noticed an improvement after a week or so but it depends on how long it takes your body to regulate your supply; everyone is different. I think I kept up the block feeding for at least 6 months then I would just offer one breast per feeding, then switch for the next. We never really did do both breast in one feeding

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

What kind of symptoms are you experiencing? I think I have the same problem so maybe we can share any info we get/gather with each other.

She was gulping-sometimes choking, pulling off a lot, milk would run down my side when she was eating, very gassy, she seemed to have a really hard time having a BM, she would seem really uncomfortable when eating-sometimes fighting and screaming and she’s gaining a lot of weight. I'm not really sure if OS was the problem or not. I did block feed for 5 or 6 days but i'm not now. The /gulpingchoking and major leaking seem to have improved but she still had the other symptoms. Her ped. thinks she has a dairy sensitivity so I'm avoiding those to see if the rest of her symptoms improve.

It was at least 2-3wks before I saw any improvement with my son. He had the same symptoms. I spoke with a lactation consultant and all the symptoms I described, she said I had an over-supply issue and an over-active let-down. She said after my supply regulated, I shouldn't have to block feed, but I am noticing after returning to work this week, pumping and him sleeping longer through the nights - I will have to block feed when I'm home.

I was told by the lactation consultant to give it a couple weeks before cutting out dairy. I do try to watch how much dairy I do eat since part of having an over-supply is foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and if he gets too much foremilk on top of if I ate too much dairy in a day, than all the symptoms return.

Hope my info helped and keep it up. I know it can be frustrating as I was almost at the point of quitting, but have stayed strong and have reached out for assistance from friends and family and they have given me a lot of encouragement.

I saw an improvement within 2 days or so. The gassiness and green poops were gone within days. I block fed for about 1 week only then I just changed the method to just feeding from one breast then switching to the other for the next feed.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months